Friday, November 2, 2012

The Land of Mañana

Sulphur Butterfly
"You're in the land of mañana, my friend", said the gas clerk in the strange town of Animas, New Mexico.  Where the hell was I?  Why was there only 1 gas station in a 50 mile radius?  No ATM's and even fewer people.  It was scary.  Isolating.  A step back in time by about 40 years. 
Yet I came here to escape humanity.  And while the trip was extremely rewarding, it had a bit of danger to it.  So I took the walking stick to protect myself, put on my sun hat and began searching for everything.
And while I spent my time in Portal, AZ, I attended a lecture with Roberta and Michael.  Practically the entire human community showed up on this cool night to listen to a couple of Chiricahuan researchers.   One was a New Yorker and hilarious:)
Mule Deer
Check out this data!  Did you know?
1.  Of the 43 bats found in the US, 24 species are found in these mountains.
2.  Of the 950 birds found in the US, 375 can be found in the Chiracahuas.
3. Of the 400 mammals in the US, 90 live here.   
The "Sky Islands" were unaffected by the last Ice Age and the critters were allowed to continue their evolution.   The Chiracahuan Leopard frog is an example of this evolutionary step forward.  Or the endangered, thought to be extinct but rediscovered, Mt. Graham Red Squirrel.
The Chiracahua Mountains are 40 miles long and 20 wide.   It is one of 42 Sky Islands that exist between Mexico and the US.  They are known as the Madrean Archipelago. All have a unique biodiversity found nowhere else in this world but here in these forgotten parts of the world.  Each different from one another. 
Acorn Woodpecker
Home to Jaguars, Jagarundi, Ocelots, Mountain Lions, and Bobcats.  It's one of the few places where these cats still roam together as they once did in other parts of Southern Arizona.
While the fires on top of these mountains have done damage, I'm happy to report that the Aspens are now human height.  These are the first trees to sprout after wildfires.  And it's also the reason many of the bears were coming down to visit:)  Portal is truly an exciting experience full of wildlife minus the people.  So remember to bring cash, your birding guide, and a full tank of gas because this truly is the "Land of Mañana."


22 comments:

  1. Mañana seems wild and free for animals to roam. I like the pictures of the woodpecker and butterfly. The woodpecker seems to be wearing a red beret.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great get-away!!! I would love to go somewhere totally alone one day!!! The desert is your souls home! Oh...as I was standing in my neighbors driveway last night as the trick or treaters were out, we had a bat encircling our two yards for a couple of minutes! It was very cool to see on Halloween night!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am glad you discovered this wonderful place. There is always a reward at the end of the path.I did not know of any of those facts. Amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A grewat post Chris, full of information, interest and great pictures. I guess lots of people in the US won't have been to Land of Manana, never mind a Brit like me. Looks the sort of place I would love to bird and to experience.

    ReplyDelete
  5. A lovely serie photo's Chris.

    Wish you a nice weekend

    Greetings, Joop

    Have you already seen my second blog?
    http://joopzandfotografie.blogspot.nl/

    ReplyDelete
  6. The countryside is fantastic, a brilliant find Chris.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Chris , Portal sounds like an interesting place to visit. A great habitat for the wildlife, which is a main attraction for me. Great post and I loved the photos. Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  8. there is a whole story unfolding in that picture of your hotel room. I remember we had those square terracotta tiles in the last house.

    ReplyDelete
  9. A wonderful post... many thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Superb photos Chris and what a beautiful place :)Sounds like a wildlife paradise.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I really would like to be as adventuress as you are Chris, but I find that I am really more than content to enjoy Portal and all the other wonderful places you visit vicariously through your eyes. Have a wonderful weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  12. ...may be a dangerous area of our 'world' but ohhhh so beautiful and tranquil. I love the desert. Oh and by the way, you mentioned Portal Arizona in the post below....there are TWO Portal's ---I'm assuming this is the one near Douglas? ---if so, my ex son in law's great grandfather owned a lot of land...some of which is part of Southwest Research Station ---the cabins used today were the Reed family's. Stephen is buried close-by. Brought a lot of memories today for me.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Definitely looks intriguing and interesting. Like the idea of few people and many critters!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Being away from humanity, now that sounds good to me Chris :-)

    ReplyDelete
  15. sounds like a wildlife-rich, wild place. :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow --what a gorgeous place. Anyone who wants to get away from 'life' and get into nature needs to go there... All I can say is WOW....

    Have a wonderful weekend.
    Hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  17. This place looks and sounds absolutely superb. Nice get away. Yet another place to add to my AZ list.

    The Siskyou NF & mountains in SW Oregon are also an island of diversity that was magical to explore when I worked at Oregon Caves.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Great photos and commentary Chris!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Ohhh que bonitas imágenes.. Me encantan esos cervatillos tan lindos.. Un saludo y buen fin de semana..

    ReplyDelete
  20. When I fist started backing up to catch up with your posts, I was going to ask if you had visited the Chiracahua Mountains, but I got stuck on not being able to spell the word right, was almost late for work and had to run. :) That's me in a nut shell. These mountains really do have an eerie and wonderful feel to them.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by!