Friday, June 4, 2021

Inside The Eye Of My Hurricane

 


I'm still here.  I'm still alive.  Just took a break from Las Aventuras for awhile. 

There's a sharper edge.  A sense of direction.  A sense of hope.  It's the final release of dead weight mentally and physically.  


My tolerance is very limited.  In some ways, I feel like a roadrunner.  Like the roadrunner, one moment I'm happy and content to look around the area. The next, I'm a deadly assassin. These are my emotions. After the election, I thought they'd go away.  They only intensified after the insurrection and that's when I snapped. Between covid and stupidity, I was done with them all. 


Hope is on the horizon and it gets better every day.  For now I keep myself physically and mentally busy with planning, projects, surveys and work. 

Over the past several months, I have been out guiding people helping them find their birds.  Sometimes I enjoy the quiet hike.  When covid lifted ever so slightly, everything came back and blew the lid off the cover.  I wasn't prepared for that scene.  Everything that was cancelled last year was back on again. And then some.  

Every month is booked with something crazy.  Fun.  But crazy.  I won't go into details.  Things will eventually calm down towards the end of the year, but for now, I am in the middle of a hurricane waiting for the winds to pick me up and throw me out into the larger world. 

Life is complicated. These last 4 years in the US have taken a toll on my health and on several relationships.  I didn't feel like writing for many months.  I was going through some sort of stupid depression. 

In a trek to Texas back in February, we went to find several birds along the border. We added several new lifers like the Crimson-collared Grosbeak at Resaca De La Palma State Park, the Long-billed Thrasher, Audubon's Oriole and White-tailed Hawk. 

It was fun revisiting other species as well like the above Common Pauraque and below, the Green Jay.

We even had a fun adventure in Brownsville searching for a rare Golden-crowned Warbler(below) inside a zoo.  What a trek!  

It was fun to get out of town with a friend searching for new birds.  We both were vaccinated but it didn't feel safe to fly.  So I drove the USS Betty White.  

We stayed in McAllen and visited places like Estero Llano, the Brownsville Zoo, South Padre Island and Bentsen State Park. 

Our searches happened after the big freeze in Texas.  Normally the tropically humid and lush Estero Llano was cold and barren as seen in the picture below. 

This was a small taste of what is yet to come. The adventures are big and the world life list will hopefully grow again as I travel the world on several big bird missions for this year. I got a lot of emails from you all wondering where I was.  I'm here, just took a break. Thank you for following Las Aventuras and caring!

Until next time.....

8 comments:

  1. Glad to see you are back!
    It had been close to ten years...of following.
    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not going anywhere. Thank you:) Sometimes you have to give yourself permission to step back and evaluate things. That's what this was. The blog is still here. Hope all is well with you:)

      Delete
  2. Glad to see your post. I understand the living in a hurricane. Yet happy to see you've gotten out there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's crazy. I've had to make some difficult decisions, but they are for the best. And this includes my mental health. Just really hard to sever the ties. It's like a dead weight has been lifted.

      Delete
  3. So pleased to hear you are ok Chris - have been so worried about you so relieved you were just taking a break. Difficult times we are living in but good to hear you have birding trips and tours planned. Stunning photos as always. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so sorry I didn't say anything. I just shut the computer down plus my laptop was on the fritz. I have a new one coming in this Wednesday to take for my travels. These are extremely difficult times. Beyond covid, there is this huge tension in this country. It feels like at times we are at the edge of a civil war which has torn friends and family apart. Hopefully these next several months will free my spirit up again. I'm taking a page out of your book. I'm doing a tour for one week and then it's coffee and a book on a coffee plantation for several weeks in the rain forest. For now, I am buried in my work. And hopefully at some point next year, I'll be able to head over to England and visit friends. All my best and thank you for your kind works. Chris

      Delete
  4. It's great to see you back, Chris! I'd figured out that you were probably going through some kind of turmoil in your life with all those crazy things going on on your side of the pond. I hope that, after the hurricane, you find your Yellow Brick Road and new rewarding relationships along the way.

    Take great care - - - Richard

    ReplyDelete
  5. Muy bonitas imágenes Chris... Saludos desde España...

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by!