Thursday, November 1, 2012

"Above the Circle"

  
Portal, Arizona
Welcome to the isolated world of Portal, Arizona.  I ran away from home to escape the urban life for a much needed break. I had indeed found one of the last remaining places on this world mostly untouched by humankind.
Coyote
Well not really isolated when you consider all the incredible animal life around me.  But being the only one of the trails in the darkest forests felt at times eerie.
Mexican Fox Squirrel
I wrote to you all that I wish I could find bears.  And indeed I did but the danger factor was high.  I knew several spots where they were watching me from the bushes and I don't normally feel that "spider sense" on my walks but in Portal I did.  There was an edge of danger to the walks.  In this part of the world, Mountain Lions, Jaguars, and Bears roam freely up and down canyons. I decided that my life was much more important than to get a shot of a bear.  At one point I chased the Elf Owls but stopped when I realized that there was a bear hiding behind a boulder. The Elf Owls can wait.
Mule Deer
Portal is a world protected by desolation. In fact, I had to enter the sandy deserts of New Mexico. I could tell immediately that I had left my beautiful Sonoran desert home.  Not many humans live here and the ones that do consider themselves to be lucky to live "Above the Circle"......those fortunate enough to be surrounded by nature and escape the madness of the human world.  It's a world of quiet, deep reflection and constant exploration.  I think I could like that life:)  Well except for the little inconveniences like not having a gas station nearby.  There was an OLD fashioned one 40 miles away!!!  And all the ATM machines(3 in a 50 mile radius) were blown out by a storm.  It was isolating. So bring cash.
Tarantula
I did attend a lecture by the research station on a wonderfully cold evening.  I will write about the research tomorrow and it again backs up the importance of our sky islands and diversity of life in Arizona.  
Mexican Jays
I found myself on hikes during the day and reading my book during the dark and cold nights sipping coffee.  One night I sat and listened to bird calls on my CD player to help me find all the incredible feathered ones.  And I'll share those finds with you all in two days. Until then, I leave you with this Jay flying off into the Portal skies......


23 comments:

  1. What an incredibly beautiful place - the first photo is just stunning :) So glad you got some much needed quietness, solitude and relaxation. The bears sound rather exciting and so relieved you kept safe. Look forward to hearing and seeing more of your adventures.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow Chris! A great post and what an amazing place! Living in a country where we don't have creatures that are likely to do you any serious harm (except fellow man!) I think that I'd find the prospect of meeting bears, mountain lions and jaguars a little frightening. I'd certainly be too scared to go to such places alone. Take good care!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Chris, you certainly are an adventurous soul. You were smart to give-up the bear chase and settle for the wonderful wildlife you captured so well.
    Happy trails :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. EEK!! for the spider. Love the rest of the shots Chris.

    Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  5. oh dear that sounds like a great trip
    but be careful...that coyote looks hungry

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds like a great place to escape to! Tell us more. ;))

    ReplyDelete
  7. It sounds that remote corner of the already remote Chihuahuan desert grassland treated you well...welcome! Not to mention what I like the most that we only have some traces of - Madrean! Jaguars, bears...oh my, glad you stayed safe over getting *the* shot.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like the quiet and lack of people, but I'm not so sure if I want to replace those with bears, coyotes and tarantulas! Then again, I'm glad those animals have a place where we're not interfering with them.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Portal Arizona, huh. 40 years I've been here and that name has never passed through my brain. I've got to get down into that area. I've never really explored much around Tucson. Well, Benson. Which was quick. And because my parents lived there in 1934. Found the apt. where they lived. I want to get down there again.

    ReplyDelete
  10. sounds like an exciting place, but glad you stayed out of bear's way!

    ReplyDelete
  11. You do have the best adventures Chris. Great shots even without the bear and the others.

    Tarantulas are a favorite. Scary, but not dangerous so I love having them in the garden.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I loved Portal also! My family and I made our trip there during October break from school one year. We had an amazing time...even with me limping along with a toe problem that would require surgery when we got home. Your opening shot epitomizes Portal to me.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Spotkanie z niedźwiedziem mogło być niebezpieczne, a i bez niego było wspaniale. Trochę się wystraszyłam tarantuli. Pozdrawiam.
    Encounter with a bear could be dangerous, and even without it it was great. I was a little freaked out tarantula. Yours.

    ReplyDelete
  14. great landscapes & animals!
    cool adventures...

    xoxo, Juliana | PJ’ Happies :) | PJ’ Ecoproject

    ReplyDelete
  15. Sounds like my kind of place where even alone I'd make so much noise the big bad critters would just watch while I blithfully tripped along. Glad you've gotten some rejuvenation, and blog fodder to follow.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I like knowing there is a place like this. Protected and wild. I may never go there, but I am happy to know it is there and still wild.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I always wondered what was in Portal. It looks like quite a lot! I will pass on the bears though, thank you. Have you ever been to any of the wineries in SE AZ? I am thinking I really want to do a trip down there this winter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OH yes Tracy......many times:) There are certain wineries that are my favorites:) You should come down...you'd love it:)

      Delete
  18. The scenery in the first photo is incredible. It's nice to know it's untouched! I'm glad you were able to get away to such a wonderful place. You have captured some great wildlife. Look forward to hearing more about your time there.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Beautiful! It sounds like an amazing place to go, but I could sense that edge of danger in your words. I agree, Smokey Bear is easier to be around than his wild cousins! :-) I've always had a very healthy respect for bears and mountain lions! I look forward to more posts on this wonderful place.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Great Photographs....The first is a belter and better for enlarging to full screen.

    ReplyDelete
  21. You certainly are an adventurer Chris. You express your feelings and findings very well, always such a pleasure to read. There are things (spiders, bears)that you encounter on your walks that would totally freak me out..must nice to be unafraid.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by!