Monday, November 12, 2012

The American Kestrel

 The American Kestrel is a tiny little warrior that has no fear.  He will go after and attack the Harris Hawk until the bird moves off his branch.
The smallest of falcons and raptors, it is sometimes known better as a Sparrow Hawk.  But here in Tucson, we call these little beauties the American Kestrel.

Sometimes I wish I could include these pics with everything else, but I have a number limit of pics per post.  Sometimes I break it; most of the times I don't.  This series of shots today are specific to the magic of Kestrel Kiting.
I was absolutely enthralled by the bird just lifting off the branch and "floating".   It would also mark the closest I've gotten to clear shots of this bird.  I've attempted to capture them on camera over the past several outings but it would be this day that I'd get detailed images....part of which had to do with the lighting.
I think Kathie is the Kestrel Whisperer.  I have been birding for a year now and hadn't seen this bird before.  And then Kathie moves back to Tucson and I see them on every outing!  They will sometimes soar to great heights making them difficult to spot.
I love how they will just rise and hover from the branch without any effort.  It's quite magical.  Imagine if you could just float from where you're standing.
Watch out little bunny.  You could be dinner:)
Danger! A battle begins and birds clear the airways for hawks, falcons and kestrels alike.  Birds of Prey are some of my favorites to observe on my bird outings.  More tomorrow....
Kestrel

22 comments:

  1. The kestrel is a saucy little raptor. I love how you're getting these shots. Those in flight captures really show off the colors with the sunshine. Have fun birding with Kathie today. And dress warm.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely light on some of those great pics Chris.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kestrels I've seen have mostly been in cities. While I was landscape supervisor at one of my company's properties, I had an experience I'll never forget.

    While cruising the Park in my Golf Cart, I stumbled upon a racket going on in a rather large mound shrub of Bougainvillea. It seemed as if the shrubs was loaded with hundreds of sparrows who were spooked but wouldn't leave the safety of that shrub even when I came up close enough to reach out and touch one of them. They flitting back and forth inside this bush with very little room for maneuvering.

    Suddenly there was an explosion of sorts inside that Bougainvillea as something dive bomb into the midst of the bush. It was one of your Sparrow Hawks and it left with a catch. After that the sparrows all took flight as soon as the hawk had what he wanted. He was apparently present and studying the situation from a perch which the Sparrows all knew but I was in the dark. It was a kool experience.



    -

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cool series on the Kestrel! They are beautiful birds. Wonderful shots, Chris! Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful photos Chris. I never tire of watching birds of prey!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's hard to realize that a falcon they are quite small in fact.
    Marvelous encounter!

    ReplyDelete
  7. These photos are excellent, enjoyed everyone of them. Seen 100s of these birds none let me get any decent photos.

    ReplyDelete
  8. terrific shots of these beautiful birds! especially those 'in flight' shots! wow!! i never seem to be able to do that!

    RUN bunny RUN!

    have a great week chris!! and happy birding!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Gorgeous little birds! They are a lot more strongly marked and colourful than our Kestrels (Falco tinnunculus).

    ReplyDelete
  10. Fantastic photos! You captured the kiting wonderfully. That first shot is amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a magnificent little guy! Great shots Chris!

    ReplyDelete
  12. i love these little guys! they're pretty shy, though.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Chris

    Never seen such nice bird..... that Kestrel is very good photographed.

    Greetings, Joop

    ReplyDelete
  14. Not unlike our Kestrel here chris, not to be confused with the Sparrowhawk though!

    ReplyDelete
  15. One of the birds on my photographic wish list is an American kestrel. I have seen one but never been close enough to get a great photo. :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Special Photos, food for thought, and bug wings. You made my day!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Kestrels overwinter here and I often see them hawking from the power lines. They are very cute, a quality rare in a raptor. The bunny is very cute too, lol! Great pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hope that bunny retreated!!!! Kestrels are gorgeous birds.. You got some GREAT shots, Chris.
    Hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  19. Chris, a cute and clever post. I did not see very many kestrels last year when I was in Massachusetts but I seem to see them everywhere this year since I have moved back, even in my yard!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by!