The other day I was walking down a path lined with these beautiful trees. One of the things that goes through my mind when I see this plant is whether or not one should love them or hate them here in Tucson. Let me list the pros and cons and you decide....
1. Self fertilizing
2. Nice shade tree for the desert
3. Unique branch structure
4. Little to zero watering as it grows naturally in our landscape
5. Sonoran wildlife love this plant
6. Is a fast grower in the desert
7. Will tolerate intense sun
1. Root structure spreads on top of the soil
2. If not pruned properly, this tree can blow over...
3. Branches break off easily during storms(cars and homes damaged each time)
4. Mesquite pods are the messiest unless you like making pancakes with them
5. Some have thorns
6. Can be invasive rootwise...never put near a pool or a foundation
So what's your verdict?