Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Beach Magic!


So we've come to the end of our series together.  And I thought it would be appropriate to begin with a shot of a sunset from one of the many shells found on the shoreline in Rocky Point.
You may have been waiting for these beach shots:) Especially if you're not so much into birds. Don't worry Tracy, I think I got them.  Get up early before everyone else does.  I got up at sunrise and found lots of fabulous things.    But to get an idea of how large the ocean is, you have to put something next to it.  Or the shots will be blah.  Like here in the desert.  People who have never experienced the desert, snap shots of our saguaros but when they get home to look at the shots, they turn out rather boring.....so here's a hint:)
Put something like a cute dog in the shot for visual punch:) Plants found in the dune areas include ice plants and Texas Ranger.
Shells are cool as well.
And definitely get yourself out there for sunset and sunrise.  My rule?  Coffee at dawn.  Wine at sunset.  Never let your camera leave your side.
 Because....you'll miss things like this.  Dolphins coming close to shore.  To make an interesting shot of the dolphins, you need several things to happen.  One.  They could be jumping.  Two.  Be on top of them like this jet ski.  Turn off your engine and grab the camera(waterproof).  I use these for our rafting expeditions etc.  The dolphins follow boats, etc because it stirs up the fish....and that's what they are doing here.  Or Three.  Have an object like this jet ski in the pic or you'll just have fins in the water. And that can be boring.
 The route from Tucson to Rocky Point is always in the eye of the beholder.  Here are some more recommendations.  Fill up your gas in Tucson.  Get to Why(the actual name of a town:) for another fill up before entering Mexico.  Stop at the gas station on your left for amazing green chili burritos.  These will hold you over until you get to Mexico.  But most importantly?  Don't overlook the Organ Pipe National Park.  It's pretty amazing.  Large and full of life.  You'll pass it on the way to the Lukesville border checkpoint.
 It may seem like you are driving through a desert wasteland.  Some parts are disgusting because Mexicans throw their trash everywhere.  Just keep driving.  Maybe throw a few coins into the Red Cross checkpoint.  You never know when you'll need them.  But don't stop for people on the road.  Just keep driving and go during the day and NEVER at night.  When you get to your beach house, you'll know why you did this trek in the first place.  The ocean opens up to you and will take your breath away.  Why Mexico and not Cali?  California is overpriced and overcrowded.  Mexico, open and free.  Not many people.  And it's quiet!
 If you run out of gas in Rocky Point, stop at Circle K for gas and not Pemex.  The gas is treated and better for your car.  There are 2 or 3 Circle K's in and out of town.  Tourism is waaaay down in Mexico and it's really a great time to go visit.  And one last point, Mexicans have no problems throwing trash off the boat into the ocean or on their roads.....that's just how they are.  Here is my professional advice on this.  Don't say anything unless you know the people.  My attitude is expressed in this manner. "You may not respect your own country, but I'll respect it for you by doing the right thing."  Mexico has made a few slow steps forward but it's still frustrating for me to see their careless attitudes towards the environment.  As I'm getting older, it makes it harder for me to keep my mouth shut....especially when other Spanish speaking countries are doing MORE!!!  But this is a rant and overall, our trip was incredibly fun and worth every penny.  Plus I love Mexico and the people.  These are just rules to follow because we are near the border.  And every border between countries has the same issues...well maybe not the US/Canada border.  Canadians are very peaceful people:)
 I slept every night outside to the sound of waves.  If you suffer from anxiety, like some of my friends, vacation allows you some wonderful sleep.  It makes you forget about your health, financial woes, family.....and just "be".  So bring your cell phones but turn it ALL off.  Play board games, read books, swim, eat amazing Mexican food and.....
remember to take shots at sunset.  Those are the best:)  Until tomorrow friends.....

17 comments:

  1. My post somehow relates to yours, because i have beach stones 3km from our house. I remember you saying in the last post about Mexican time, we also sometimes refer to something as Filipino time, but i am so mad at it. I am a Filipino but i haven't been late unless it really is out of my control. Another thing is garbage, i hate our people who doesn't care for the environment and do not manage their garbage! Maybe I am an exemption but we are learning!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like birds but, I also enjoy the beaches. The dolphins are a cool sighting. It is nice to be up early and have the beach to yourself. Great shots.

    ReplyDelete
  3. All of your shots are wonderful but that first one took my breath away!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That blue sea looks wonderful Chris! Such a shame about the litter problem there. I detest littering with a vengeance and don't understand why anyone would ever want to deface their surroundings!

    Oh and I'm with you on the coffee and wine although, being a late riser, I would have to amend 'dawn' to start of my day ;-)

    Wonderful photos and another most informative post!

    ReplyDelete
  5. your beach views are beautiful. and love the coffee in morning/wine at night. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Certainly paid off to get up early. You got some great photos and have given good advice. I loved traveling in Mexico but agree that the litter drove me crazy.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The bell is excellent, but, I can't choose them, they are brilliant photos.

    ReplyDelete
  8. More superb photos Chris. I have so enjoyed this series of posts - you have made me feel as though I was there with you :)Couldn't agree more with coffee at dawn (well a bit later as I'm a night owl!) and wine at sunset!

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's like I was back at my friend's in Rocky Point. You captured the feeling wonderfully.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have been enjoying your adventure and the photos. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Chris, the shot of the zebrine water (3rd to last) is fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  12. really really pretty photos!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh, yay! I have been waiting for these. Marvelous shots, Chris. You are definitely my kind of guy - a beach, a camera, a sunset or sunrise and a cup of coffee or glass of wine. The sound of the waves kissing the shore. It just doesn't get any better!

    ReplyDelete
  14. These are brilliant shots, thanks for sharing them.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Looks like you had a wonderful vacation. And I love your photos!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Beautiful shots, I especially like the first one.
    Thanks for sharing from your vacation.
    Like the coffee at dawn, wine at sunset.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by!