Monday, August 29, 2011

A Geisha Experience

Normally I wouldn't take a picture of this, but if I'm going to write about it, you should see the set up:)
Panama is home to one of the most expensive coffees in the world. Geisha was discovered quite accidentally growing in the fields of a Panamanian farmer in the early 2000's.  Today this slow growing bean has been a hit worldwide.  Tasting very much like a citrus flavored tea, this Geisha experience cost me 9 dollars. No need for sugar or cream because it wasn't like any coffee I've ever had.  This speciality coffee took the world by storm in 2003 and since then has won the prestigious Specialty Coffee Association of America in 2010.  
As you can imagine, most of the Geisha coffee is exported to other countries.  Very little stays within Panama as business abroad pays extremely well for a pound of this expensive bean which can range anywhere from 50 to 130 dollars.  Everyone in Boquete wants to grow this particular bean but it's trickier than the other Arabica coffee beans.  This one variety can take up to 5 years to develop beans and it is much more sensitive to disease.  The crop from this tree/bush is also smaller hence the hefty price tag.
We walked here and sat down for our Geisha experience
So after all is said and done, I enjoyed the experience but not the coffee.  It didn't taste like REAL coffee to me and I do like my French and Guatemalan roasts. But if you're in the area, give it a try.  Who knows?  Maybe you'll love it:) Until next time......

3 comments:

  1. gee, you got me thinking of hot coffee
    think Ill go make some
    the cheap stuff

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi. Glad you got the Geisha coffee...was great to live vicariously through you and to meet you, of course! Carlos, my guide, said it's sort of like coffee for tea drinkers--definitely not like regular coffee. Still, I think it's cool that you tried it. I wish Sr. Ruíz had offered me a free cup--now that would have been really satisfying! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey, if it wasn't for Geisha, we would have never met. I'm really glad we crossed paths and wish I could have had more time to get to talk to you, but thanks to the Geisha, at least we got to meet. Have a great labor day weekend!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by!