Tuesday, February 11, 2020

Turning Over A New Leaf

Western Screech-Owl near my work site
I am healing.  I am getting stronger, but it's slow. You'd think I was out every day looking for birds, but I am not.  I have three really important goals right now.  Walk more.  Lose this stubborn belly fat.  And drop the weight. 

A pack of Javelina or Collared Peccary cross a pumpkin patch to get to a river
On the financial level.  Save money.  Stay at home.  Make this year about birding Pima County well. It's a huge county, but I know where to go.  There are just a few people who know Pima a little better.  But I've made notes over the years for a year like this one.  And it has paid off so far locating certain difficult bird species. 


This brillaint Lillian's Eastern Meadowlark is a favorite of mine
I had habitat picked out.  Just never had the time to do the slow investigation that was needed.  But I'm glad I made the notes as it has made my job so far a breeze.  Some birders get angry that I hide my reports about certain rare birds.  That's ok. I learned my lesson a long time ago.  I told someone and they told others.  And then the bird was never seen again. I'm a quick learner. If you are a true birder, you know and understand a bird's habitat requirements. And with that knowledge, you can find the bird you are looking for. I need birders to know that the bird's safety comes first. So far, I've been excited by the owl discoveries.  From Long-eared Owls to Barn Owls to Burrowing Owls, the trickiest in my county, to the easier Western Screech-Owl and nesting Great Horned Owls.

The Round-tailed Ground Squirrel peaks up from a hole to make sure it's safe to search for food
This slow methodical approach has really allowed me to absorb all the habitats more.  Take my time.  Explore new mapped out spaces for certain species. Granted the beginning of the year is always the easiest. 


Work has taken up much of my time allowing me to bird once or twice a week. 



It has been a wonderful time connecting with birders.  Just sitting on a bench and helping a visitor ID a new bird or a difficult sparrow.  There is nothing new anymore here in Arizona except for the personal connections I make with birders and their love for birds.  It makes me smile.  The more I do this; the more I realize I'm beginning to fill in vacant roles that were once filled by birders who are no longer with us. In a way, it's a very sobering thought.

The subtle beauty of a Lincoln's Sparrow
I have changed as a teacher this year as well.  I am more relaxed than I have ever been with my students.  We talk and I teach.  When I'm done with my lesson, a student shares with me a bird they've seen.  They show me a picture and I ask them about the bird and if they know what kind of bird it is, etc etc.  

A Common Raven comes in for a sip of water
 I speak to a new friend on the phone.  An opportunity arises for my students.  I am excited.  So we begin to brainstorm.  I begin to write down a strategy to see if we can maybe make this student trek to our national park happen. What if it was an overnight 2 day event?  And what if we could give them the hands on experience necessary to excite their minds for a future of protecting our beautiful and sacred Sonoran desert?  I am very grateful for the conversation and also for the opportunity to get to know another kindred spirit.

A Pied-billed Grebe hunts for larvae in the murky water
 At home, I find a Canyon Tree Frog in my garden!  I watch my new friend sit every day on one of my Mexican pots as it bathes in the sun.  The nights get cold and I wonder if the frog will make it.  In the morning as I put oranges out for my Verdins, I check to make sure the frog is okay.  And there the frog is.  And I smile. 


A wonderful and shocking surprise in my garden, the Canyon Tree Frog, sits on top of my Mexican pots.  Where did it come from?  I never touch that part of my garden.  Has it lived in the soil of that pot for a long time?
 In the quiet of my office, I research and plan for my July trip to the Darien Gap in Panama.  I purchase a ticket for the entire month.  The first half will be grueling as we hunt for the Harpy Eagle.  The second half will be my vacation. I'll sit in my rocker on the veranda overlooking the gardens and coffee plantations in Boquete wearing my sweatpants sipping on something warm. I will meet up again with Ivan in Gamboa.  And I sense I'll finally get to meet some "friends" from Facebook for the first time in person. 

A Botta's Pocket Gopher comes up to grab a bite of grass
Each year is a new chapter in our life.  We can let it pass us by or we can make each day an event. After being stuck at home to heal for several months, it's good to feel stronger.  And it's good to get out again and be a part of the community.  The pause in my life was a good thing. 


There are goals to be achieved for sure during this important year of 2020. We'll meet up with Nancy and her sister for a wonderful hummingbird hunt in March. We'll explore new birding hotspot, the Canoa Ranch and do a Hawk Watch in March with Tucson Audubon. We'll also visit the garden at El Presidio as I add several new native plants to our property. Then our friend Dr. Steve from Wales comes in April to chase Arizona lifers.  Our Tucson Audubon Big Day will be some time in April/May as we, the Wrenegades, try to find as many bird species as we can in one day. And there are so many more things that will happen.  But for now, I'm birding at my own pace.  I'm sleeping in during the mornings as much as I can.  I'm still a birder but a much more relaxed one now. Until next time.....

17 comments:

  1. It's good to hear that you're getting it all together, Chris, and making plans, but still taking it easy and staying relatively local. I'm also impressed by your list of owls found in the county. I'm really falling down on the owl scene at the moment.

    I guess that tree frog is quite small? Cute!!

    My very best wishes to you both - - - Richard

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Richard. It feels good. I didn't want to make plans for awhile and I was scared to commit, but I did it and I feel better for doing it. It gives me something to look forward to again which is really important. I wish I were over there with you counting the owls. I've seen them now from my last trip but it would be fun going out and checking your hotspots. I think that's what I enjoy the most about birding with others. We all have our different routes and random tidbits to share.

      The tree frog is small like the size of a medium rock. Very cute. And he's still hanging around. I'm feeding him bugs and keeping his soil wet:)

      Delete
  2. Hi Chris, If you're on facebook, and if you've never been as far north and east as Newfoundland, check out the Newfoundland Birdwatching Group on facebook. I live in Ontario now but Newfoundland is my home province and I follow the activity via their page. Contributors are everything from hardcore twitchers to novices who ask for help with identification.

    Love your blog!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I just joined on Facebook. It's amazing over there. Gosh that would be a dream of a place to visit. So different from Tucson. Thanks for sharing the info and stopping by!

      Delete
  3. Beautiful post. I have met many friends form the blogging world and each one has turned out to be a long time friend after, we all seem to think alike.
    Take care and I hope you meet all your goals. Very best wishes Diane

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Blogging friends are rare and amazing. I've met so many wonderful people from the blogging world. Maybe we shall meet one day. That would be wonderful!

      Delete
  4. I am so GLAD to hear this news that you are more relaxed now and not working and running round at fever pitch. You are learning slowly that life can be encourage even more when more relaxed. Lovely critter images Chris and glad you are recovering

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Margaret for the kind words. I think more now about things instead of tick tick tick! I think that's the reward for having chased all the birds in the state. I have one more regular but that's also very relaxing because it's just fun general birding. Have a good weekend! Chris

      Delete
  5. What a lovely positive post Chris. Your photos are always are stunning. I wish you a happy, healthy and relaxed 2020.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much. And the same to you. I really do hope one day we cross paths. You are an inspiration for how I do what I do. You stroll examine the nooks and crannies. I especially love your park walks, garden walks and visits to the restaurants as a way to take it all in. Thank you:)

      Delete
  6. Time for healing is also time to slow down and have patience. As always, your photos, and passion, are amazing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know. To say this has been easy would be a lie. I am an explorer at heart like you and when we have to slow down, it's not the end of the world but I want to know more and learn more. And in that I have discovered different kinds of knowing and learning.

      Delete
  7. Too much work and hard to shift belly fat - I know your pain! Hope the year pans out as planned!

    Cheers - Stewart M - Melbourne

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by!