Monday, November 18, 2019

Coastal Desires


Living in the desert makes me yearn to be near the ocean when I have the opportunity.  I guess I was also chasing Rock Sandpipers along the Oregon coast near Tillamook even if it was a little early for their arrival. It was more about enjoying the cold ocean wind.  Autumn colors. Ocean. Coffee. And birds. 


Tillamook is relatively close to Portland.  It's an hour and something drive through beautiful misty coastal rain forest to the rocky Oregon shoreline. Between the rain and dark conditions, it was a challenge to find birds.  

Beautiful Portland from on top of a dormant volcano
I often forget that most of the country is cold outside of Tucson.  It's refreshing to be surrounded by misty gray skies. I'm not a fan of gray skies for more than a couple days, but I do love how they can make one sleepy and tired all the time.  It's great "sleeping in" weather. 

Varied Thrush are absolutely beautiful but you would never know it from the dark conditions they like inhabit
As I drove along the magical highway 6 from Portland, I'd find opportunities to stop and explore for a quick bird count in a nearby campground or parking lot. The lighting inside some of these old forest areas made taking photos difficult. The habitat though was truly unique and much different from the birding in Arizona. 



I hit the peak time of autumn and everything around me was full of color.  Leaves were falling. And I felt very happy. 

Black Turnstone
When I arrived at the ports along the coast, I could see a very turbulent ocean with lots of high winds.  The birding was still better here along the ocean than it was inland as there had been nonstop rain. Along the coast, other than the winds, it was pretty decent birding weather. I searched coves that were calm and protected from the wind. And sure enough, I'd find all the shorebirds huddled together. 

Surfbird
Originally I had planned to hike along the beach to count gulls but the waves were out of control and the tide was high. I scanned around harbors for Marbled and Ancient Murrelets but again, the water was too rough.  It's amazing anything can survive those chaotic waves. 



At one location, I enjoyed watching sandpipers huddle together. The wind was so loud that the birds were not spooked by my movement. I enjoyed long looks at these birds until a Peregrine Falcon flew over and caused chaos. 

Least Sandpiper
I'll admit that sandpipers are not my most favorite shorebirds to observe.  I like them, but I often see them through a scope.  And that's rather boring.  In this situation, I was able to get a few feet above them and see their field marks better. 

Two slightly larger Western Sandpipers sandwich a Least Sandpiper
A new storm was heading my way and the waves began to hit the shoreline harder. I carefully walked out onto the point keeping my eyes out for rogue waves. 



A bird that I don't often get to see, the Black Turnstone, was a thrill to observe. 


And who doesn't love a cool looking Surfbird?  I hadn't been expecting this species up in Oregon.  For some reason, I think of them as a Southern California/Mexico bird, but their range extends from the top of North American to the southern tip of South America.  That's pretty amazing. 


The rain began to fall and the waves were now crashing against the shore and getting me wet.  At one point, I put the camera away and tried to not get pushed around by the strong winds.  


The highway back to Portland is absolutely beautiful.  There's also a chance for birders to spy Mountain Quail and Sooty Grouse. My last lifer for the trip was the sneaky Mountain Quail.  

Mountain Quail refused to pose for the camera. 
I'd like to thank Khanh and Robert for their hospitality.  It was the break I needed.  Next week we head back to Arizona for some birding with friends.  Until next time.....

4 comments:

  1. Something quite thrilling about crashing waves and wind (as long as you don't get carried away with the tide). Beautiful photo of the three sandpipers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful photos and a great selection of birds. I always enjoy visiting the sea - being landlocked where I live it is wonderful to have a real change in habitat and landscape and the sea is constantly changing depending on the weather and time of year :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a treat to see all those birds. I would love to go birding in Oregon. Life is way too short now that I bird.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by!