Monday, November 25, 2019

Slow But Steady

A Rock Squirrel keeps on the look out for a very hungry Red-tailed Hawk in the area

Before my trek to Oregon, I began to feel pain around the left side under my rib cage.  This routinely has happened to me since I was 32 and always during the same time period.  I'm not sure what it is, but I end up in the ER every time and every time they tell me I'm fine.  And then I throw money out the window. Money that could be used to pay off bills OR go on a birding adventure. 

Chipping Sparrows at Reid Park
For the remainder of the year, I have decided to stay in Tucson.  I was going to head to Mexico City over the holidays, but I think I need to let this body rest.  I will say that it has been nice NOT having plans over break. Instead I'll be working on making better habitat for my birds in the garden. 

American Pipit at Canoa Ranch
While the pain has subsided quite a bit, I still don't feel 110 percent. I'm running at 80 percent right now.  I've found that if I relax, everything gets better.  I've been go go go for so many years that I think my body is telling me to stop and just be present in the moment. 


A Verdin interrupts a Brewer's Sparrow's alone time
And not so far away from my home, I can find so many wonderful local birds and still be home by the late morning.  I get anxious if I don't go birding.  I have to bird at least one place once a day for at least 15 minutes. So it's fun birding my own backyard and I am thankful for my feeders. 


Grasshopper Sparrow at Canoa Ranch
And for everything that has happened over these past weeks, I have a better appreciation for those who want to bird but struggle with health or aging issues while on the trails. 


A Red-tailed Hawk hunts and jumps off a perch
I find that birding keeps my mind distracted from my own issues. And birds are amazing. 

Vesper Sparrow
And while I'm resting, I've been doing research on several countries for next year's treks.  Travel is a marvelous thing and reading up on new species of bird takes time. My office is cluttered with bird books and magazines. 

Phainopepla
I bird the local parks with vigor observing closely the birds that I know well.  And with that pent up birding energy, I've discovered some amazing birds without having to drive far.


Black-crowned Night Heron, juvenile
Winter has arrived in the Old Pueblo.  As of this write, yet another rain storm is projected to hit us by Thanksgiving. 


Black-tailed Prairie Dog
Like always, we keep our eyes out for rarities.  So even when I'm sick, I still make a little time to look for something new at a local hotspot.  Hopefully things will get better and I'll be on that road again soon searching for new species.  To all of my US readers, have a wonderful Thanksgiving. And to everyone else, hope you have a great week ahead.


A rare Ruddy Ground Dove on my survey grounds at Reid Park
Until next time friends....

6 comments:

  1. That's the point that we often chase birds in the fields and they are close to our home. I once counted that dozens of species visit me in the garden, from popular sparrows to rare crossbills.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely. It sounds like you have an amazing garden!

      Delete
    2. My garden is quite old, mature and tall trees grow on it. I also have feeders and nesting boxes. I try to plant plants that attract birds with tasty fruit. Also sparrowhawk come to hunt for small birds.

      Delete
  2. Lovely photos. I know the feeling getting, that bit older is not always as simple to travel about! We have just returned from South Africa and we have both been unwell. Personally I blame all the air-con with us!!! Take care Diane

    ReplyDelete
  3. Funny how seldomly we look at all the diversity in our own back yards. Rest, refresh and enjoy local. Happy Thanksgiving

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by!