Wednesday, October 24, 2018

The Last Stretch of the Year

Bridled Titmouse
Wandering through the elevations of Arizona state, we stop and glance at the various birds around us.



I marvel at the intelligence of the Common Raven.


Ravens, hawks and a condor look like tiny specks against the mighty Grand Canyon.


Along the rim, a Pygmy Nuthatch bops around on the ground looking for food.


We stop and carefully look over the edge.


Winter birds begin to arrive and we see them in great numbers.

Western Grebe
The rains and the cool weather force leaves to change color.


Birds normally secretive in summer, like the Canyon Wren below, pop up for a longer linger.


Birds and berries evoke thoughts of making a holiday card.


I'll be honest.  I am tired.  Exhausted.  So many feelings.  So much stress.

Blue-throated Hummingbird
If it wasn't for friends and birds, I'd think I'd go insane.

A special friend from Wales makes a visit to southern Arizona.  Hello Ms. Bonnie!
We have arrived at the final chapters of this year. There is still work to do, but for now, it's all about the enjoyment of birds.


It has been an amazing year for las Aventuras.  As always, thank you for following the adventure!
This post is dedicated to Barb Padgett who was a strong supporter of Tucson Audubon.  She passed away last week at the age of 65.  I will miss her chats about Star Trek, government and so many other things.  I never met her in person, but I got to know her via Facebook.  Thank you Barb for everything you've done in the birding world.  Thank you for supporting and believing in me. When I see a Yellow-headed Blackbird, I will know that you are with me in spirit.  You are loved by so many people.  Thank you for everything.

10 comments:

  1. Hello. Wonderful places and beautiful birds. Great photos.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Chris. The scenery is wonderful as are the bird images on this post. If you are exhausted, TAKE NOTE, it is a warning sign. Something has to give.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so right. I will be pulling back a little. I already have stopped a bit of the crazy birding hence the slow writes on blogger. I've been dragging a little:)

      Delete
  3. I am so sorry to hear of the death of your Facebook friend - so sad.

    The landscape in your beautiful photos is stunning as are the birds :) Watching birds and getting out and observing nature is a great way to relieve stress I find - for a few hours you can forget whatever problems and worries you have.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She was a great lady. Always sent money for my birdathons. Such a sweetheart and I will miss her. She always had so much to say. And she had a brilliant mind.

      Delete
  4. Hello, wonderful photos. I love all the birds and the Grand Canyon photos. Sorry about the loss of your friend Barb. Happy birding, enjoy your day and the weekend ahead.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Eileen! It's so strange. In birding, being a bit younger, I hang out with a lot of retired people who have become my friends. I want everyone to live forever but I know that isn't the case. It just makes every outing much more profound.

      Delete
  5. Some fantastic pictures here. The Canyon Wren is a new one for me. Superb!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful captures. Sorry for your loss. On line friends come to mean a lot to us.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by!