Thursday, January 18, 2018

The Whispers of Wind


Wait.  Watch.  Listen.  Whisper.

American Kestrel
The secrets of the grassland eventually reveals itself.

Eastern Meadowlark, Lillian's
In a trance.  Cautiously, we watch each other.


Trust. Peace. Serenity. My world. Their world.  Our existence.


This moment of perfection and balance lasts only for a moment. Then the wind, as it moves the grasses, forces into motion the flocks of birds. They quickly take flight and then vanish into the golden haze. 


In the blink of an eye, everything disappears around us as if they had never been there.  Ghosts. 


It is here where I find peace and a spiritual connection to the universe.

Chestnut-collared Longspurs
I can travel the world and explore all of the amazing places, but it is here, in the grasslands, that I feel at home.


The cool wind forces the stagnant heat off of my shoulders. 

Say's Phoebe
I marvel at the sun and how it brings me joy.  My home. It's so good to be back.

Burrowing Owls
The thrill of coming home has never changed. My travels only reaffirm my love for Arizona. 

The thrill of finding longspurs!  In these photos, we discover the Chestnut-collared, McCown's and Lapland Longspurs
Until next time.......

8 comments:

  1. Very Nice, I got to see those grasslands of Sonoita and Elgin years ago before it became more built up with little Ranchettes all over the place. I miss Meadowlark sounds, they make me think of warmer summer days, things I don't get over here in Sweden. In fact I'm writing about a few things I miss over here and Meadowlark sounds aare one. Of course Measowlarks I almost totally gone where I grew up in El Cajon/Santee area. Below is an amaazing video of how pronghorns in Sonoita had to be saved through inroduction of captured pronghorns from New Mexico.

    A Triumph for Pronghorn Antelope

    Here is another prohorn link to a ranch in west Texas, the Circle Ranch, which is a working cattle ranch, but very much into holistic land management and increasing wildlife on their ranch aside from healthy vegetation increase through a process of keyline till to allow water to slow move and spread out over the landscape instead of deep channel runoff

    Successful Pronghorn Transplants Require Ecosystem Health

    Hope this is okay to share and not take away from yor post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That first photograph says it all. the peace of your surrounding is felt in that photogeaph. Wonderful images

    ReplyDelete
  3. A delightful post, Chris, which was great up until the point that you hit me with those Burrowing Owls - and then it became fantastic!!

    Best wishes to you both - - - Richard

    ReplyDelete
  4. Me encantaría conocer esa zona algún día.. Que bonito.. :-)))

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful photos and landscape. It looks so peaceful :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello, looks like a great outing. I have never seen the Longspurs. The Kestrel and Owls are awesome captures. The Pronghorn are pretty critters. Great post, enjoy your day! Happy birding.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by!