Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Seedy Intentions

Today's post shows you the ongoing work that continues with this particular garden as I am layering the look of this side area.  These pics were taken back in March on the 25th.  You can see where it started and how it all has grown in together.  Wildflower seeds and several varieties of basil were planted around the wells of the trees.  Don't worry....the trunk of the trees are protected with a screen.  I just wanted a little area to put down a vegetable garden.  Here are the beginning pics and set up.  But then....something else happened....

I put in 3 wells for Vinca and other colorful xeriscape friendly plants.  2 of the wells have plants growing in them, but one didn't go the way I had planned.  It seemed Mother Nature had other plans....
So when I look at these pics from last year, I smile and think of what could have been.  And what it is now.
                                                         but you will see what happens next.....
 I add ice plants and everything stays green:)
Birds decided that they would inhabit the space. No basil or any kind of seed could be thrown in the space because the birds would dig up the seed. Today one well is empty and is used as a "bird" hotspot while the other 2 wells grow Vinca and other succulent plants. The whole experience taught me to observe garden space before starting any major plans on gardening or planting seed. More tomorrow...

20 comments:

  1. Chris:
    "Birds decided that they would inhabit the space. No basil or any kind of seed could be thrown in the space because the birds would dig up the seed."
    -----

    I had the same problem with Western Towhees one year in my vegetable garden. The little suckers somehow knew that when the Sweet Corn spikes emerged from underneath the soil as a sprout, there was still a rather large tasty sweet treat under the ground. Didn't have any corn that year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Trudno, podzieliłaś się ptaszkami . One też muszą coś jeść, ale szkoda, że wybrały właśnie Twój ogródek.Pozdrawiam.
    It is difficult, you have to share the birds. They also have something to eat, but a shame that your garden is chosen. Yours.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry your plans have changed because of the birds eating the seed. I guess now it is a bird friendly garden. The sparrow is a cutie! Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had 3 pots at the ledge of the condo window, and the birds always cut the leaves even if they don't eat them. They are just left there fallen on the floor and my plants are complaining, just like me! Then i planted onions and spring onions in another pot, and they leave them alone! Someone advised me to hang old CD on the plants to drive away the birds. It the CDs will roll, the more they will be frightened of the moving object.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is a wonderful design. Having birds take over one wheel isn't too bad...it could have been all three. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. We've got a problem at the moment where the wildflower seeds have been planted in the "meadow" - blackbirds love the damp soil and are digging up the seeds as they collect mud for their nests!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mother nature and the birds are both happily living in your garden now. It all turned out beautiful in the end, Chris.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Chris :-) I suppose it shows that, although we think we 'own' the piece of land we call home, we are really just caretakers who share it with the creatures which choose to visit us there. Love the last photo of, presumably, one of the culprits ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I like the idea of planting with wildlife in mind.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm sure the birds are of the mind that the entire garden is there for their benefit and were quite appreciative that you gave them all that nice seed to eat. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Just constructed a veg plot in my garden Chris, should have some Tomatoes, lettuce, Raddish, and spring onion later in the year :-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have decided that starting things from seed will be impossible Warren:) It's all starter plants from now on...:)

    ReplyDelete
  13. The layout of the trees is superb.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Sprouts and birds. Always a problem. I like how the trees and wells look.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I have always wanted to plant ice plant. Why haven't I?

    ReplyDelete
  16. The stones arranged in scallop pattern is nice! The birds are very clever. They are quick to find food. In my garden, I suspect they come eat up flower buds also.

    ReplyDelete
  17. They are cheeky little things. If I want any of my lettuce to grow I have to cover it with netting until it gets growing or you guessed it, it's bird seed.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Ah well it's their garden too. That's what I try to tell myself when things go awry. lol

    ReplyDelete
  19. i really like the look...the rock edging. (i use OLD found bricks)

    i have the same 'problem' here...if i plant seeds...between the birds and squirrels, they think i've set the seeds out for them!

    if i want to start from seeds, i have to do it in clay pots and then transplant. but even then...the squirrels have one track minds...

    anyway...it all looks great...you just have to find that happy medium...for you & the critters! :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by!