Tuesday, April 24, 2012

A Journey's End

It started earlier this year.  A mother returned back to a nesting area as she has for the past 3 years.  3 eggs were laid in a very visible spot in the center of a school courtyard.  She would stay with those 3 eggs day and night until they hatched.
I watched and watched making sure everybody was okay.  At first most people didn't know about the owls. But as time went on, they would become the main attraction in the courtyard for everyone's viewing pleasure. In the past, most owlets died from her choice of "nest".  One survived last year.
The days would get warmer and the eggs would get closer to hatching.  Both owls went searching for food and brought it to the nest.
Several birders would also discover the delights of Great Horned Owls.  Sally and Robert would film these next shots.  The owls were vigilant and never left too far from the nest.  They would fly back and forth making their presence known.
Eventually, two of the 3 eggs would hatch.  And within a 3 week span, these birds would grow at an amazing speed. 
They began to peak their heads up.....and grow more.......
And out on the ledge they would go....ready to fledge.  And then at 5 PM, I received a call telling me that the owlets were gone.  My blood pressure went up.  Who took them?  The owlets were attracting a lot of attention.  Students were climbing over the sides of the square windows to get shots.  And the birds faced near 100 degree temps.  The odds were against the owlets and teenagers lacking common sense. But I held out hope for the owlets:)
I had a difficult night sleeping because there had been no communication whatsoever about the owlets getting rescued. It meant an early start to my day along with getting my AP, final exam stuff ready for next week. 
I arrived in the morning and discovered that the left hand of our school didn't let the right hand know what was going on.  A group of teachers took it to the next level without contacting the rest of us who had also been watching the owlets.  I had been contacting people all over town like the Desert Museum or Wildlife Rescue in case something had happened to these owlets.  When a student had thrown a ball into their nest area, I nearly flipped! ... And there were signs of dehydration.  There were also too many people watching these amazing birds and everyone kept them up during the day.  They were afterall famous.
So I went to all those involved who decided to go to the next step and make sure that the Wildlife Rehab group  was legit.  And they were.  But again, there was miscommunication.  The group involved did the right thing but made an impulse decision without all the facts.  The Refuge believed the parents to be dead.  When I told the person operating the organization that the parents were quite alive, there was a pause. But with everything said and done, I am still relieved that the owlets were "rescued".  Getting to school everyday was a stress for me because you didn't know what the news would be.....but now, I have a number and contact to check up on them.  I will have one more report in July on the owlets as the rescue organization will be presenting at the Tucson Botanical Gardens(where I volunteer as a docent).  TBG is doing a special focus on birds and gardens this year because there has been an increase in birding around our area.  Incredible stuff.
So I'd like to tell the Mom and Dad Owl.  "Your babies (from my phone call) are with two other rescued Great Horned Owlets and they are doing well."  One of the owlets would have died for sure if they hadn't been rescued.  Both are eating plenty of food and will be re released back into the area in fall of this year. They are also certified with Arizona Game and Fish.  So this story has a happy ending.  But as the saying goes, where one journey ends, another begins......:)
I have so much more to share with you all.  Sometimes I can't keep up with all this work, but I do it because it's something I definitely love:)  A lot of exciting stuff coming up! More tomorrow....

16 comments:

  1. I will miss your frequent updates on these amazing owls but am very happy to know they have been rescued. Great job, Chris.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great photos Chris. My heart was in my mouth as I read your post - a shame about all the miscommunication but I am so glad the owlets are safe and well and will be re-released into the wild. I have so enjoyed reading of the owls' exploits and seeing the photos - a great series of posts!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sooo glad it worked out. Strange nest location she picked out. I've never run into an owl here yet, but in California about five years ago I was driving in a neighborhood late at night and one flew in front of me upward to a large tree. I was so amazed at the wing span on it. Incredible.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great Owl tale, Chris.. glad to hear all is well in the Owlet world.
    Beautiful shots as well, thanks for sharing.. I'm green with envy.
    Cheers :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good to hear the Owlets are doing ok, even if its with some assistance. Think of the immeasurable good that was done sharing the delight of a nest with the school, and even if things did become compromised at times, at least there is, as you say, a happy ending.

    ReplyDelete
  6. well, i hate that the parents don't know what happened to their little ones, but if it means survival for the young, so be it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well, I'm glad that the owlets will thrive, but I feel for momma and daddy not knowing what has happened. They've invested so much in their offspring.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I don't know whether to laugh or cry, but I'm glad it was at least a bittersweet ending.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know I know Tracy. Whenever people are involved, it gets convoluted. But because this action has been taken, I ponder if the parents will try and "nest" again in the same spot. It has proven true with other birds like the California Condor in the Grand Canyon. They take one egg and the Condor will lay another. But the max is around 2 attempts. I am happy that the birds have some quality care. The owners of the refuge are intelligent people who know what they're doing. And when I spoke on the phone with her, she knew the routine....and I felt better. But yes....the parents. Sigh. It hits an emotional core for people.

      Delete
  9. What a confusing mess all because of a lack of communication. Sure glad the owlets are OK and being given a chance. I'll bet the parents are really wondering.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know. It was a little frustrating. We have a school site of about 2000 students and a lot of staff! It's pretty large so I can see how it can happen, but with the group of people involved, it would have been nice to have a conversation about it so that a proper decision could have been made....instead it was just made. Either way, I followed protocol and did followup. The owlets are in good hands.

      Delete
  10. Oh the drama. I'm glad their safe but feel for the mom and dad owl.

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a great story. I am glad the owlets will survive but it is hard on the parents who have worked so hard to have them taken away. Can't wait to hear what comes next.

    ReplyDelete
  12. oh!! look at those little owlets!! SO CUTE! and i know it wasn't easy deciding what to do...but now they're safe...and have a chance to survive.
    but like others have said...i feel sorry for the parent owls.
    but then again...if some predator had gotten them...they would be in the same position...at least this way...the babies will LIVE!

    awesome shots!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow... Amazing pictures, amazing story. Glad the little owls are safe.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by!