Monday, May 25, 2020

A Mental Pause

Mountain Bluebird
After the constant chases for really rare birds, it was time to take a break from all this Covid madness.  We headed up to the White Mountains to celebrate the end of our school year party.  Usually we go to Mexico, but this year, we altered the plan and chose cooler temps. Plus the border is closed:(



I went with my peeps where we drank beer, hiked and of course, watched birds, Elk, Pronghorn and so many other critters! They have eased restrictions in many places around the state and we were able to have our first beer together in public.  I didn't realize how wonderful that would feel. And there was live music! It was a well earned break.

Vesper Sparrow
It was also a working vacation so we brought our laptops and had zoom meetings.  This was the final week of school! We were at our whit's end with some of our students. And unfortunately with some parents who didn't monitor their kids better.  I hope, but I doubt it, that they can appreciate our classroom management skills now.  Things are still not normal.  Summer school was cancelled after much discussion.  Many parents refused to do online summer school (I get it) but it couldn't  be done.  Now there will be no summer school making the consequences for students who failed courses much more meaningful. 


Band-tailed Pigeon
It certainly has been a challenging time for all of us. Parents are NOT teachers.  And we are NOT parents.  A lot of students did a great job online, but for the ones who didn't do any work, it made things very stressful.  Sometimes I'd have to break quarantine and go to school and call parents.  I'm certainly not calling them on my personal phone!  From my work phone, they got an earful...in a kind and wonderful way.  But it was direct and to the point.  


We gave our seniors a proper send off.  It wasn't the same though and for many, it hit them that night as they wouldn't be able to throw tortillas into the air and say good-bye to one another. I felt their sadness on this day. I volunteered because believe it or not, I missed them. (Don't share that information with any of them though:) I felt a little bit of moisture around my eyes and rubbed it away. It must have been allergies. However, our school did a great job giving those kids....those young adults....a proper closure. The admin did a huge amount of work organizing this major operation in a safe manner for all.  My hats off to them!

Bullock's Oriole
As we were signing off, I also had the hard realization that my Panama trip would be cancelled.  The Corona virus has taken off in Central and South American countries.  The borders into Mexico are closed. Panama has banned all commercial flights into the country.  I haven't seen my friend Gordon, who was supposed to go on this trip, in over 2 MONTHS!  In fact, I miss many of my birder friends. Watching the Seniors at graduation process their final days also forced me to realistically evaluate what would happen for the summer. It put me in a funk. 

Desert Grassland Whiptail
The silver lining? Our Tucson Audubon fundraising event was more than a success!  We raised over 53 thousand dollars for this year's birdathon fundraising drive! We were super thrilled!  There were more participants this year AND we raised more money for a great cause!


There are days when I feel like I'm moving from one endless morning into another.  Summer has officially started for teachers here with those lovely hot 100 + temps. All of us are in this uncertainty cloud. Summer is about renewal for us.  Now, there is nothing to look forward to.  There is just a lot of unknowns. It was good to hear that I'm not the only one dealing with this stuff. I still hold onto my Panama ticket with the dreams that I will be able to go even though our group will not. It's not going to happen.  The Harpy Eagle will have to wait. 

Yellow-breasted Chat

Oh I still look at our AZ birds with a great fondness.  But I'm a gypsy at heart.  My hunger to learn more is ever present.  I have put together the last of my western birds that I need for my Plan B Tufted Puffin project. Plus, it's an escape from the heat. It would be a beautiful trek into California, Oregon, Washington, Montana and Idaho states.  There are 17 life birds left in this region.  Assuming I find all these birds, there will be little need to visit the Northwest again. Over the years, I have enjoyed dipping on the Gunnison Sage-Grouse in Colorado because it just means I get to keep going back there and trying. There is the Black Swift under a waterfall in Ouray, Colorado that I need to visit.  So on and on it goes, but I see the end coming for these states.  And it's hard to imagine never going back to them again.  

Turkey Vulture
10,000 life birds is a dream.  They keep me focused like a laser pointer. In Arizona, what was once a challenge for me, is now known and memorized.  I still pick up a few things here and there about our local birds.  They are still interesting, but it's not new.  I have this drive to push the envelope. And my focus has wandered. Reptiles have captured my interest. This year alone, I have actively sought, or not, snakes!  What is happening? The things that scare me are now the things I really want to learn about! Of course, having a friend like Celeste who loves herps has made me more curious about them. 

Yellow-headed Blackbird
One night, while I walked out into my garden and filled my bird feeders, I saw the moon flowers of my night blooming cacti. The air carried the heavy fragrance of the honeysuckle vine.  It was my little moment of perfection here in Tucson. In my garden, I have created a home for wildlife. I find that I've been turning more into a local naturalist. My cats certainly approve!  They do a great job chasing the White-winged Doves off of the window feeders!



I'm glad to be able to bird with my friends who are here.  My mind is also with my friends afar.  And my thoughts wander towards those who have life circumstances that have redefined their explorations for now. Birding used to be so easy.  Our lives are like an hour glass; we only have so much time before that sand runs out. It's been a meaningful time for many of us learning that we are all social creatures. For some, this is a dream!  I used to take some of my travel for granted, in that I could always do it if I wanted. Now that everything has been turned upside down, I crave that time with other people wanting to do those treks to new worlds and cultures. 


My brother back in Wisconsin has been enjoying the massive migration of the Ruby-throated Hummingbirds, Orchard and Baltimore Orioles, Scarlet Tanagers and Rose-breasted Grosbeaks.  And of my family, I think he is the one who understands my love for birds the most.  Granted, a lot of my family loves the birds, but he has a bird book!  And he was able to pick out an Orchard Oriole.  Maybe one day when we are older and retired, my brother and I will go on a birding trek somewhere and do some hiking. This is certainly a time of great pause in our lives.   


The canopy of a Central American rain forest will have to wait. 
Next week, we explore the border along Southeastern Arizona. It's a rare trek for two days into some really wild country!  Until next time.....

4 comments:

  1. Hello Chris, I am sorry your Panama trip will be cancelled. Our summer plans are up in the air too, we wanted to visit Oregon,. I am not sure I even want to board a plane. Love all your bird photos, great sightings. Happy birding! Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gorgeous photos Chris. Life has completely changed in so many ways it is hard to make sense of it all and remember how normal life was 3 months ago! Sorry about your cancelled holiday but enjoy any other trips you make. Stay safe.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lots of changes from what we underappreciated pre-covid. However, lots to enjoy closer to home. Wonderful that you were able to give your seniors some kind of celebrations to mark their big milestone.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm happy to see your lovely assortment of birds. Yes, it's been an interesting time for all of us but I have to hold onto the hope that we will be back to our lives soon!

    Your link is a great addition to 'My Corner of the World' this week!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by!