Tuesday, April 14, 2020

Holding The Front

Zone-tailed Hawk
If I didn't have birds, I would go crazy. It would seem like one endless day streaming into the other.  I view my bird outings as fun but sad!  Because after I'm birding, I know I will have to go home!


Every day, I find a moment and see something amazing.  And luckily, there are always things to see. Or experience. 



As this disease takes hold, I find myself having to end hanging out with friends on the trails.  Keeping the distance is important, but even better is staying home or AWAY from people altogether. 



It has become even more difficult to stay away from stupid people who think it's all a joke.  Some have even died.  One young man, a couple nights ago, lost his life while drag racing on our Mt. Lemmon road drunk.  No one is monitoring these areas. As a result, this guy is dead after driving off the side of the mountain. We were up on the mountain in the cold listening to owls and nightjars when we heard a lot of drag racing in the forested canyons.  It was just a matter of time before someone was killed.  Glad it wasn't us or the many other innocent bystanders who enjoy night hikes/birding on the trails.  And the wildlife doesn't deserve to be around our stupidity.

Sonoran Gophersnake
 I walk the trails listening for people.  Most people are good.  The few who are foolish are usually loud and easy to avoid.  Like a deer in the grass, I disappear.  I watch other birders and smile.  It is beautiful. 


Some days are difficult.  I want to get out but I can't because I have to go to the store or I have appointments with my work OR I just have work to get done at home!  It takes more energy these days.  The evenings are the hardest as I have come to discover that I hate watching TV.  


Western Kingbird
This week has been fun, but my greatest challenge has been the Gray Vireo.  It was a new bird for my Pima County list.  


Gray Vireos are common in Maricopa County but NOT in Pima.  They used to breed in smaller numbers here and still may do so in areas that are difficult to scout.  Outside of migration, it's a difficult bird to spot around Pima County.
I've seen many of them and recognize their call in AZ.  However, in Pima county, it's a different story. I've chased this bird 3 times this past week!  Finally, I heard the bird, but does it count?  The short answer is yes.  Plus I've seen it many times, but I like having photo records for my reports.  However, as a more seasoned birder now, I also respect the bird and will not bother it if it's not willing to show itself.  If it was a lifer, this would be a different story. 


Pyrruhuloxia

However, I can tell you with great enthusiasm that Lucy's Warblers are plentiful and very often seen around here before they hunker down to nest. 



In a really beautiful moment this past week, I headed out to Proctor Road for a rarish Golden-crowned Sparrow.  I met Tina and several other birders as we sat and watched her feeders.  It was a crazy experience.  So many good birds seen!

Broad-billed Hummingbirds fight over a spot at her feeders
But even better?  I missed talking to fellow birders.  I missed hearing their stories.  I missed the social part of it. Tina is "stuck" at Madera Canyon until the covid epidemic is over.  She's in an RV and in the most perfect place ever.  If she stays there long enough, she may even hear a Buff-colored Nightjar!

A rare hummingbird to the lower elevation, this Rivoli's Hummer comes in for a sip. 
The sunsets are gorgeous.  




And the spring migration show is out of the world. 


This female Broad-billed Hummingbird sips nectar from the wildflowers in the foothills of Madera Canyon. 


Sometimes she sits on the delicate branch to take a break from the high speed flying. 


For a moment, I forget the world is in chaos. 

Northern Cardinal
And in my excitement, I completely get lost in the moment as the Golden-crowned Sparrow comes out from the shadows. 



There are good days. And there are bad days.  I am fortunate that I have family to remind me to keep my sanity.  We zoom and drink.  My sister puts together games and we hang out.  There's a bit of ADD going on with this group, but I am grateful to have them there.  
I tried taking a pic but accidentally shut off my camera!
Stay well.  We still have a bit to go on this all. Nature is happening all around us. Until next time.....

13 comments:

  1. Your beautiful photos! Just what I needed tonight. I have been gone from my blog friends' sites for too long. Strange time indeed. Stay well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad:) You know that we both started blogging around the same time? How many years later and we're still posting:) It's nice to know you're still working on your garden and magic spaces. And have been. It gets a bit crazy here as I try to juggle lots of things so I'm not so good responding to everyone on blogger. I wish it was quicker to do. Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete
  2. What lovely creatures, especially that warbler! I think you should be excited because, even though you have to go home, you can be out again tomorrow :)

    I'm so happy that you joined us over at at 'My Corner of the World' this week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The warblers right now are amazing. So many different ones coming through the state. And it's true! I can flex my work schedule:) Hope all is well:)

      Delete
  3. Hello Chris, nice to see you are still hanging in there. Birding and keeping your social distance..I love all your hummer photos, the sunset is gorgeous. Lucy's Warbler, is new to me. I would love to see most of these birds. Maybe some day, when we are "free" again. Beautiful birds and photos. Take care, enjoy your day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes. And how are you doing Eileen? Now we're really trapped here with these super hot temps!!! Yuck! Not a fan of summer early. Especially not a fan of 100 plus temps. But it's May:) Hope all is well with you and your family. Chris

      Delete
  4. A superb set of photos Chris - glad you can still get out birding. The world seems so surreal at the moment. Nature provides the best escape and the natural world continues on regardless. Stay safe and well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is bizarre showing the best and worst of humanity everywhere. It's almost too much sometimes. You do the same. Good to hear from you. Chris

      Delete
  5. Beautiful photos as always! Love, love, love the sunset shot.

    Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The sunsets here Veronica are pretty amazing. Nothing quite like an Arizona sky.

      Delete
  6. Love those pictures of the hummers. Wonderful birds, which I have only been able to see for one week of my life!

    There are a lot of stupid people in the world - I find it best to avoid them, virus or no virus. Green clothes help!

    Hope you are well - Stewart M - Melbourne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are lots of crazies. I am shocked by some of the things I'm hearing on the news. Isn't it something? What I wouldn't give to go back and bird areas again to see several species longer and better. I keep thinking of Great Britain as an example. We only had one week to explore but what I saw was incredible. Wish I could relive that week again. That was the last time I really did any world birding. I took travel for granted. Now my trip to Panama this July is in jeopardy. If I don't go there, I'm roadtripping! Stay well. Chris

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by!