Tuesday, April 21, 2020

Endless Days; Sleepless Nights


Before I begin with this week's chapter, I'd like to mention that blogger is having issues with pictures.  I wasn't sure I was going to post this week.  And I'm not the only one with the prohibited sign for several pics.  It appears my cell phone, scenic/people shots were blocked but my camera photos were not. So you'll see my wildlife discoveries from this past week. Blogger is aware of the problem and they are working on the issue.  Now let's get started with this week. 

Heermann's Gull makes a day appearance at a local pond in Pima County
Are you feeling like the title of this blog post? Everyone asks, "How are you doing?"  I don't know.  Everything is an endless haze.  Even the birding is mundane.  Ohhhh, I like the walks with friends or alone, but it feels like I've been there and done that over and over again.  I run the race but it feels robotic and empty.  I am very close to throwing in the towel and grabbing my keys and laptop while taking my work with me along the coast. 

I like this gray and detailed throne of the Greater Pewee.  They are all vocalizing right now which is absolutely beautiful
I still enjoy the birds, but it's not the same as researching a new area full of new challenges.  I have my projects.  And they look good.  I wake up.  Read emails.  Go for a walk and pick up new birds for the year in Pima County. Sometimes I walk.  Sometimes I drive.  I come home.  Check emails.  Work on the house project, putting ceiling tiles up.  Then I go outside and water my garden and feed my birds.  I watch TV for an hour and respond to students.  Then I go to bed and do it all over again. Just like everyone else reading this.  I don't even know what day it is unless I am given a task. 

Bushtits feed along a creek on Mt. Lemmon
Rarities show up.  I chase and snap a pic.  Tucson Audubon had me do a count around Reid Park which was fun.  Finally I felt like I had a real task for the day!

Anna's Hummingbird monitors my count at Reid Park
A zip code next to ours is now a new hotspot in the city for the Covid-19 virus.  I'm wondering if another nursing home was hit.  This virus is taking out these retirement communities!  And as you may or may not know, Arizona is one of the top retirement states in the US.  So while I was doing my count at Reid Park(that's in the area), I was very careful keeping my distance from people.  A police officer monitored the park for social distancing. 

Zebra-tailed Lizard
Some golf courses are vacant which is awesome!  I can now walk to the ponds where there's usually something amazing hiding in the reeds, like the Solitary Sandpiper below. 

A really cool Solitary Sandpiper hides in the reeds on a vacant golf course.
Everyone checks the few and random watering holes around town hoping for something rare to show up.  It's our highlight for the day.

OMG!  Yappy Black-necked Stilts warn me to stay back, even though there's a fence between us and that I'm some distance away from the fence.  Good gods!
Mental health is important, but this caged bird is ready to fly.  While the cases continue to rise in the US, people are beginning to lose their minds and protest.  Not saying I'd do this, but if I had covid, I'd go to the protests wearing a red hat wrapped in an American flag coughing all over everyone. My best advice is to stay away from people everywhere.  Stick to the birds. These are interesting times for sure.  Stay well and hope you are finding things to keep your minds active, like birding:)  Until next time.....

9 comments:

  1. A wonderful Post for the
    Corner of the World...

    ...fantastisc captures.

    Stay healthy

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL, I had to laugh at the red hat comment. I love all your birds, especially the Stilts and Hummingbird. Stay safe and healthy! Happy birding.. Enjoy your week ahead.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I bet the creatures of the world are happy with the temporary absence of people! How cool to get those lovely photos.

    It's delightful to see you over at 'My Corner of the World' this week!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Don't let these difficult times get to you, Chris - it can't go on forever!

    Super photos, as always!

    I too had problems with 'prohibited' signs replacing photos on blog posts. It only happened briefly one day, and the photos never came back although they still resided in my Google folders. I suspect that they tried a new 'offensive content recogniton' algorithm which went horribly wrong.

    Best wishes to you both. Stay safe - - - Richard

    ReplyDelete
  5. Times are so difficult Chris - I can't believe how quickly the whole world has changed. Your photos as always are super. Stay safe and well and positive. One day we will be out of this nightmare scenario.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the photo of the black necked stilts. They look scrappy. Having some intellectual stimulation and interesting new projects certainly helps pass the time.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by!