Monday, January 20, 2020

From Scratch

Crested Caracara
Every year, as birders, we start over at zero bird species seen. All of the species we saw back in 2019 are locked into the 2019 vault.  And we simply start over at zero in ebird. 


People ask me if it gets old searching for already seen bird species.  And my answer is simply, "No."

Black Vultures
Perhaps if people went to the same spots year after year.  Then that would get old for me. But I like to mix it up.  Plus there are always new rare birds to find here. 


Nothing beats a nice winter walk out in the open.  



This year, we took a walk down in the town of Arivaca.  And we discovered these ruins!


Cheroot always is happy to volunteer his time to help us bird new places. 

Happy Cheroot
The thing is that you never know who's going to fly by your radar.  Take for example, these Crested Caracaras(below).  While not super common for Pima county, they seem easier these days to find on the outskirts of town.  Their population may be growing. 



And of course, when I see these beautiful birds over and over again, I like to pause and take a longer look. 

Vermilion Flycatcher
It never gets old. January is a lovely month to stroll out in the open and observe nature in action. I just wish I had more daylight!  But that too will come, along with the heat! So no rush. I'm just glad to be outdoors.  Until next time....

11 comments:

  1. Hello Chris, Happy birding in 2020. I love the Caracara and the Flycatcher is beautiful. Enjoy your day, wishing you a happy new week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely set of photos. The Vermilion flycatcher is certainly eye catching. Enjoy your week Diane.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your visit and comment. Re the cough, no it is not an allergy. I had very bad pneumonia in 2004 and the cough developed then and went on for several years. It now returns at the slightest sign of flu or a cold and generally takes months to sort of clear up. It never goes away completely!! Diane.

      Delete
  3. I imagine revisiting previously seen birds is similar to reacquainting yourself with old friends.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I guess I'm not a true birder in many people's eyes, Chris, as I dont keep a yearly list. I wish you all the best with yours, however.

    Some great shots there.

    Best wishes to you both - - - Richard

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are a true birder! No need for a yearly list. Every defines birding differently. I try to keep track of it all to help Tucson Audubon protect our environment here. As you know, we have a huge orange cheeto running this country and he keeps messing with our environmental protections.

      Delete
  5. Happy January and Happy Birding all year Chris. The flight shot of the caracara is beautiful. As are all your pics, but I really admire ( and, I admit,envy) a good flight shot. ... I just like to watch birds,even ones I’ve seen a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great pictures - I do think its a little sad that some people only 'see' common birds on the first few days of January, then forget about them.

    Cheers - Stewart M - Melbourne

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by!