Thursday, March 1, 2018

The Transitional Slide

Northern Cardinals sing their hearts out this time of year to attract a mate
As winter fades into spring, the wintering birds begin their migration.

White-crowned Sparrow
February in Arizona is relatively a quiet time in the birding world.  Some rarities show up, but overall, it's a great month to catch up on yearly ticks in a relaxing manner.

The San Francisco Peaks
This year, so far, has been great for early hummers.

Anna's Hummingbird
During our trek out to the Desert Museum, we find several Costa's Hummingbirds actively feeding around the gardens.

Costa's Hummingbird
Their brilliant purple dazzles the naked eye.


But even rarer?  A male Allen's Hummingbird is hanging out with the Costa's in the area.

A rare male Allen's Hummingbird
February, March and April are busy times for bird guides.  While I am not an official bird guide, I find myself with many birders needing our Arizona specialties.  It's fun.  I meet new people and I get to watch their reactions to their "new" birds. One day, I'll be able to guide full time, but for now, it's stick to the program:)


During a tour to the Heard Museum, I found this Native American painting.  It accurately depicts a Great Horned Owl's preference for skunk. I imagine the meat is quite aromatic.

Verdin
With my parents at Boyce Thompson Arboretum, we notice Verdins and feeding Anna's Hummingbirds.


At the Desert Museum outside of Tucson, my parents admire the unique looking cacti and succulents.


While we visit all these amazing places, I stop and count birds whenever I can.


At one location, I discover a rare White-throated Sparrow.

rare White-throated Sparrow
At Saguaro National Park, we admire the moon in the background of a beautiful Saguaro.


This is the time of year when I begin to question why I'm sitting on my butt instead of chasing life birds.  Well, soon.  Very soon I'll be taking you all to a special place in search of several special birds while visiting with friends.  For now, I sit at a holding pattern. Until next time....

10 comments:

  1. A truely wonderful seoection of birds Chris and Lovely to see your parents and everyone looking so well. HAve a god weekend ahead

    ReplyDelete
  2. Many super shots there Chris. Nice work in getting still shots of those hummers. Black Swans over here are releases/escapes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hola Chris!! Arizona y su desierto es un lugar que algún día me encantaría visitar.. DE momento me conformo con tus imágenes de estos paisajes y aves tan preciosas como el Colibrí de Anna.. ;-) Greetings from Spain

    ReplyDelete
  4. I admired and admired hummingbirds, they are beautiful. I have not seen them yet, so I admire the pictures. Regards.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I absolutely love the cute little Allen's hummer....so sweet...and, round and....well, I just love looking at it...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your photos are always so amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fabulous images, Chris. I really envy you having hummers. We have nothing that even vaguely resembles them over this side of the pond! I'm sitting looking at a complete covering of snow outside my window with the temperature at minus 2°C and the rare sight of Fieldfares fighting over apples in my garden. With my very best wishes to you both - - - Richard

    ReplyDelete
  8. I always love to see your hummingbird pictures - such colourful little birds - great photos as always Chris.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow - what great birds. Believe it or not I have spent a day at the Boyce Thompson Arboretum! Saw more hummers than in the rest of life put together! Thanks for the reminder.

    cheers - Stewart M - Melbourne (Australia!)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by!