Friday, October 7, 2016

A Look At Things To Come

Muriel scans for that secretive Dusky Grouse!
Time to get back into birding. 

Zone-tailed Hawk along the DeAnza Trail. It was a ten minute walk before I just said, "No more!" We turned around and headed back to the A/C but not before we saw this guy soaring above us. 
It doesn't mean that I wasn't doing anything; it just meant that I needed to reorganize my priorities. I have been organizing events and projects for the next several months.  Here's a look at some the things we're working on here at Las Aventuras. 

Babs hears what sounds like the American Three-toed Woodpecker in Greer
During the month of September, I kept it low key, making phone calls and organizing trips with people visiting or planning on visiting. I am working on a 5 part series of podcasts that will be released by the end of this year.  I have nearly completed the first episode and am working with an indie artist for my intro.  Surprisingly, it's not as easy as it sounds:) There's a lot of editing that goes into the recordings and thankfully Micheal enjoys doing that part of the audio.  While on the road with my friends, I think to myself, "Why am I not recording some of this conversation?"   


We meet up at the Iguana Bar with Jim and lots of herpers and buggers.  Micheal carries the beer near Texas Canyon
The plan is to get recordings of the real life experience happening behind the birds. I'm hoping it brings a little Bob Ross, CBS Sunday Morning and NPR into our lives. Ideas for the first podcasts include Episode 1-The Sweetwater Wetlands Episode 2-The Ocean(with Debi Shearwater), etc etc.  

Somewhere out there, there are Dusky Grouse.  At Green's Peak
October has arrived and I'm scheduled for several weekends.  This week, I head to the beautiful coastal town of Monterey where I'll meet up with Debi Shearwater and bird the cold Pacific waters for some fun on the Pacific.  And we'll visit with our friend Kathie Brown from Maine. 

Peregrine Falcon
November brings us into the holiday season.  It will be a rather light month birding wise.  I'll be back down in Mexico for a weekend with the Aribabi crew.  While the crew is tracking jaguars, I'll be doing my twice annual bird check at the ranch.  Another project will have me once again counting Bell's and Sagebrush Sparrows at the Robbins Butte Wildlife area. 


Did a photo shoot several years ago with these Rainbow Lorikeets.  And Michael Summers made magic happen with this beautiful bird. 
And I'll be finishing off the month with a special visit with Michael Summers who has painted some of my photography.  We'll be meeting in Scottsdale during one of his art shows.  As December arrives, I'll be finishing up with work and planning on ending my year in Wisconsin. Or at least...that's the plan.  

Eurasian Collared-Dove
Planning never ends and it requires goals.  Next year, we're scheduled to stop in Oregon and Washington, Colorado, Costa Rica and many many other locations.  And I'm going to work with birding educator Deborah Vath on some projects that involve getting our youth energized about our incredible world of birds. 


Michael McNulty films the nectar feeding bats near Texas Canyon
It's amazing how all of this just blurs from one moment into the next.  It's exciting and it's fun. Until next time.....






4 comments:

  1. It's great that you have so many plans and ideas. It will be interesting to hear how they go!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So many plans Chris, if you manage at least three quarters of them you'll be doing well. I'm happy to hear that you're enjoying life, albeit heeeeeectic 😀

    ReplyDelete
  3. My goodness, you have been busy. A podcast is a great idea. Yes, there is much that goes into a show of any kind. All the best.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like you have some incredibly exciting projects in the pipeline Chris - look forward to following your progress :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by!