Monday, October 20, 2014

Withdrawal Symptoms

A Mallard approaches us
Have you ever closed the curtains to your windows so that you could just keep the outside world out?  Lately, I have been unmotivated and tired.  But I made a promise to myself at the beginning of the year that I would work on my US list.  My only goal?  To stay within the top 100 in the national scheme of things.  So far so good.  


I'm tired of the chasing.  I'm tired of the ebird reports and most of all just feeling a bit confined for the moment. The home requires a little TLC and I'm working on several projects right now that will add a little spark to our place.  

Black-capped Chickadee at one of the hotspots I created for Ebird in Colorado Springs.....Quail Lake
So I understand that there are birds out there that need to be seen for the year but their locations are rather uninspiring. What does that mean?  Well, there are cool birds that can be found in trashy locales full of sketchy people or hot desert scrub in the middle of nowhere. I'm much more inclined to sit in my pajamas with a cup of coffee during the weekend and read a good book. 

Bucks hidden in a secret canyon outside of Colorado Springs during hunting season
Granted there are always birds that amaze me....even the common ones.  But after a year of chasing (and this last road trip to Colorado), I'm about ready to hang up my birding vest and cap.  Next year I'll be stepping back from the birding scene and just focusing on new life birds.

American Avocets in Bosque Del Apache, New Mexico last week
For now, I've made the New Year's Resolution "find and re-find as many new and old birds as I can" a reality.  It's not as easy as it sounds.  Family, weather, money, work and home have interfered with my focus at times.  Time is everything. 



People will ask me, "What has been the most challenging part about this birding trek?"  Time and money are a challenge especially when there is a full-time job to consider. I've only hit half the necessary hot spots in the US to stay in the top 100. With more money and "free" time, I could plot and strategize better. Another challenge?  Locating grouse!  They are some of the most difficult birds to locate.  Some of the grouse that have eluded me so far this year have been the Dusky, Spruce and Gunnison sage-grouse!  They are VERY difficult.  It took me two years to discover the secretive nature of this Montezuma Quail below!  Hearing the bird is one thing but to watch it watch me only inches away was quite a learning experience.  The bird was completely camouflaged by the grasses and for me it was one of the hardest things I've had to do as a birder this year!


Montezuma Quail
BUT! The Montezuma Quail live here so I've been able to constantly go back and study their habitat. This has allowed me to get a better idea about how they interact with their environment.  But the other grouse?  Not common here in Southern Arizona and when I'm in their territory, their environment and habits are completely alien to me. Rails also fall into the same category.  There are several in December that I hope to locate.  Sometimes finding mammals are easier than spotting birds!  And let me tell you, if I were a hunter, I would have done very well this last week. Thankfully I use a camera to shoot.  Then I whisper to the deer, "Stay safe."



So as I slow down, for now, I am learning to just enjoy the simple things and pull back from my personal challenge of "finding all the birds".   I have one last big trek for the year scheduled into California.  For the time being, I'm drawing my shades and just relaxing a bit before going back on the road again.  I'm not going to let the competitive birding out there drive me insane:)  Maybe it's too late for that?


Sparrow love-Brewer's Sparrow.  Yeah it's brown and plain but.......what a cool bird!
Currently for the year, I've seen and documented 450 species of birds. I'm not done:) Last year, I observed 452 species.  While out on the road this year, we had a little fun on our treks around Arizona.  The mastermind, Tommy D, loves putting together birding videos while on his Arizonan treks.  In this state, a birder can go from extreme heat to snow within a half hour!  Sometimes we desert rats forget to prepare for the colder terrain while on that chase for a rare bird.  Here is one of my favorites he filmed while looking for a super rare bird in the north country!  Check out Tommy D's Birding Stereotypes.  Arizona truly is an awesome place to bird.  Where will we be next weekend?  Stay tuned for more from Las Aventuras. 




Don't forget to check out Wild Bird Wednesday!




23 comments:

  1. You have sickened yourself of trekking and birds. Have a good rest, recover and you mojo will be back for them. Love the deer in this post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is all a bit too serious for me.
    I think the shot of the mallard reinforces my opinion. It is a beauty.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Chris, you have been on the go all year..when you can of course..I have been amazed.. Sometimes I think it is more relaxing to find a good place and let the birds come to you.. I love all the awesome shots in this post.. Wish you good luck on the new year birding.. Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think most of us have times when we feel as you describe, Chris, then some bird or birding news comes in, and off we go again! I enjoyed the video too, and can relate to that too! Thanks for sharing both, and enjoy a relaxing weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Intensive birding can be stressful, even when confined to a relatively small spot such as Central Ontario. You are smart to rest for a while, methinks. I smiled about not being able to find certain grouse. I'm personally frustrated by never seeing a Spruce Grouse. Every time I head north to a bog where I KNOW they exist, they elude me. I imagine them hidden amongst the spruce needles laughing at me. :))

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the Avocets. I'm sure a break will see you feeling refreshed and back to normal in no time. We all need a break from it every now and again. It can be intense.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wonderful photos! I think you deserve a break after all your adventures.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Funny, funny! I'm sorry to hear you are so burnt out! I hope you do not give up on birding! However, I also hope you can recharge your batteries and be renewed! You know I miss birding with you! I sure wish we could have gotten you a few more Life Birds when you were here on the East Coast!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Are are SO dedicated, Chris. You have been on the road almost constantly. I've been amazed...and a little tired thinking about it all! :-) You need to rest and get rejuvenated. Every creature (even the avid birder) needs rest! :-) I am so happy you have the pictures you do and have found SO many birds (the Montezuma Quail one very awesome find!) and I have been enjoying every minute. It will be more enjoyable again after you have time to relax and read, though. Oh, the video was so funny! I hope you like my cave swallow from Tumacacori. Regrettably, that was the only bird shot I got there. Tumacacori was a spiritual experience!

    ReplyDelete
  10. P.S. your Brewer's Sparrow almost looks like a clay-colored sparrow with those brown cheeks!

    ReplyDelete
  11. It does sound like you need a break. These are wonderful photos though.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sometimes we need to take a break from our passions/obsessions. It's OK. As we re-energize the looking back at our accomplishments can be part of that process. I'm currently all for days inside in my PJs, yet with the curtains open to let in the warm sunshine. Be well my friend. And congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Enjoy your new-found freedom. Chasing like crazy is for the birds (pun intended).

    ReplyDelete
  14. It's easy to get too involved in your passion and then you stop taking pleasure in it. I hope you have a good rest. The first image with the mallard coming in to land is beautiful and inspirational to me as it's just the sort of image I would love to capture.

    ReplyDelete
  15. You've had such a hectic year Chris its no wonder you feel the need for a break and time to relax. Just enjoy doing other things for a while and recharge your batteries and your passion will be renewed.

    Wonderful photos - the deer and mallard photos are stunning :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a great shot of the mallard Chris... I used to see them come in and skate to a stop on the ice of a little creek that ran close to an apartment I used to live in ...

    Absolutely, take a break from things...get caught up on other things...like sprucing up your nest .... it will give you renewed vigour .....

    And, we do have to learn about moderation in all things...it takes time and cleverness to stay on top of it and to be able to enjoy all that we would like to enjoy....just slow down for a bit and take time to smell those roses closer to home.......

    ReplyDelete
  17. I guess we've all been there at some time, Chris. Sometimes it's just essential to stop and re-charge the batteries.

    Wishing you all the best, wherever your spirit takes you.

    ReplyDelete
  18. What??? Tired of birding? I don't believe it. I think you're just tired, period. Birding will call you back, it is your passion. And maybe it is time to build a new dream, a different way of looking at the same things. Rest, recoup, re-energize :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. I'm a tad jealous of your avocets. I don't think we get them here. They are such beautiful and interesting birds.

    The number of bird species you've documented is quite impressive. My life list is only around 150. Take a break, get rejuvenated, and you'll be ready to go add more to your list!

    Beautiful shots, all!

    ReplyDelete
  20. We are doing it, ups and downs, finally we all have ups. Beautiful image of the Avocets.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Some people have very intense personalities and dive in, head first, all in! Good that you are coming up for a breath of air. The birds will be there.
    If you got caught up in a competition instead of the simple joy of seeing and photographing them I can understand your mood.
    These pictures are excellent. I really do like the Quail.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Your birding adventures do sound exhausting. But rewarding! What a huge number you see every year.

    ReplyDelete
  23. We all need a break, even from things we love. The intensity of passion can be exhausting. Why is birding so competitive? It seems like that would make it stressful and what's the point of that? Have fun and go at your own pace. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by!