Monday, September 30, 2019

A Weekend With Cheroot

Greetings everyone!  Before we begin this week's adventures, I wanted to let everyone know about a new feature to the Las Aventuras Blog.  We have a Las Aventuras store! We've had a lot of requests from over the years, and it has taken us awhile to figure this all out. On the left bar, you'll find a link that will take you to our products that range from fun pillows, cards, clocks, key chains, mugs, and acrylic prints. This has been a work of love from over the years and we are finally ready to share our work with you all. I have sold my work to magazines, individuals, books and businesses. Currently I am working with an owner of a birder bed and breakfast here in Southeastern Arizona where we will supply those final touches to the walls, beds and towels. I have been thrilled to see what people have done with my work and I figured we'd do the same with our own home.  We will be releasing new work every day from owls to hummingbirds and more! If you don't find something in the store and have seen it in the blog, let me know by sending me an email.  Now for this week's adventure! 

White-faced Ibis at Willcox

On my days leading up to our annual White Mountain trek, I did some quiet birding alone.  My work and this heat has drained me.  Every year I forget how much it all takes a toll on me.  I often think there is no end in sight.  Then a trek up to the White Mountains reminds me that the cooler weather will arrive soon. 

Mountain Chickadee
This year I had the pleasure of meeting a new friend by the name of Cheroot. My friend Celeste adopted this older furry little guy and brought him with us on our trek to Springerville.   

Clark's Nutcracker
I didn't know how that would go, but it was actually a lot of fun.  Whenever I introduce myself to new dogs, I let them smell my hand first so that they can get to know me.  This was especially important for Cheroot since he is nearly blind. 



On our lengthy trek up to the mountains, Cheroot trembled.  He was anxious about the travel and perhaps anxious about the idea of being abandoned. We believe Cheroot had a difficult life before Celeste and Cheroot found each other.  As an animal person, I tried my best to have him relax in my lap.  Yes, this little stinker made it to the front seat with me where he fell asleep on my lap.  Celeste and I both would take turns in the passenger seat.  It was easy to fall in love with this dog.  He definitely loves his new friend.  


There were moments I saw that little puppy emerge.  There were times I could feel his doubts from his past owner's neglect. There were moments when he played with us just to see what our reactions were going to be. And then there were moments when I observed the older pooch emerge. But it's quite clear that unconditional love makes Cheroot keep going. People who live with animals understand this emotion quite well. Unconditional love and trust. 


The views and the weather were wonderful.  Cheroot did our several mile hikes every day like a trooper. We'd have the morning to play and then the rain would arrive like clockwork at noon. 


There were times when Cheroot would become passionate about protecting his friends from other dogs.  


Celeste would do her best to curb his passionate growls and barks at the other dogs, especially the ones that weren't on a leash!


Once everything was in the clear, we'd continue walking the trails and looking for birds and anything else that would come our way.  


While we were there, we heard wolves in the distance and viewed lots of amazing birds. 

Western Tanager
Migration was upon us and so that meant we needed to keep our eyes open for rare eastern vagrants, which we did.  And we added a nice Eastern Kingbird to the state list. These birds are usually one day wonders and we just happened to be in the right place at the right time. 

Summer Tanager
The walks were amazing.  Cheroot took a moment to sip from the fresh mountain water. 


We kept our eyes open on our way down through the Salt River Canyon for Golden Eagles. 

Golden Eagles love to fly high around cliffs
On the Butler Trail, Celeste spies her first American Three-toed Woodpecker. 


female Three-toed Woodpecker
This bird can be tricky for birders in the state of Arizona. It's just a tricky woodpecker in general as they are dark and like to feed from the higher portions of the tree tops behind lots of tree branches. 


Yours truly is trying to shed some pounds after my treks to Maine and Wisconsin this summer.  The heat in Tucson has curbed my walking so I try to find ways to get my steps in.  For example, I walk more at work inside the buildings instead of outside. I'm also watching my exposure to the sun more now.  I don't want skin cancer!

Red-tailed Hawk
We trekked around Springerville, Greer and Pinetop finding all the specialties that occur in those areas EXCEPT my nemesis, the Dusky Grouse. 

Cliff Chipmunk 
A Common Raven snatches something weird from the ground at Sheep's Crossing.  Maybe it's better we don't think too much about what it is that the raven has in its bill. 

Common Raven
We weren't the only ones who had hiking in mind.  People from all over the west were in the White Mountains enjoying these wonderful temps. 


Cheroot loved it.  He was always with us.  It was interesting to note what pet owners have to endure as they travel with their pets.  For example, eating out was tricky.  We had to find a hotel that was pet friendly.  There were extra charges for having a pet, but it was possible.  During this trek Cheroot broke two rules!  He slept on the bed with his buddy!  Plus, he used his puppy powers to jump up on the bed!  

Black-throated Gray Warbler
And of course, he made it clear that he wasn't having the back seat anymore.  It'll be the front seat if he has his way from this point on:)

Cooper's Hawk
It was a fun weekend out and it flew by much too quickly. Until next time....


Happy Cheroot

7 comments:

  1. Looks like it was a lovely weekend. Dogs have a way of inveigling themselves into your life. Cheroot's a lucky dude he found a loving home.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pets are so wonderful and Cheroot looks like a keeper. Love the new store.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It sounds as though you had a great weekend. I am so glad Cheroot now has a happy and loving home. Great photos and I will check out your store :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful images you have made, theEagle, Woodpecker, your family inc: the pooch. Great time.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awww....I'm so glad the little guy had as much fun as you humans did.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Pets are great I know.
    Our dog is no longer there, but we still miss her every day.
    The environment of the walk is great, you live in beautiful surroundings.
    Best regards, Irma

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice post - I think a dog would be fun on a walk, but they are not allowed in most of our national parks - and I down own a dog!

    Good luck with the new 'shop'

    Cheers - Stewart M - Melbourne

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by!