Sunday, August 4, 2019

Soggy Shoes


Jeff Cherry shares his private backyard with us on this beautiful morning
One of my missions this summer was to revisit several important sparrows.  In fact, this was a summer of sparrow study.  During my stay in Maine, and in Wisconsin, I focused on habitat and breeding requirements.  We'll visit 3 different tidal salt marsh hotspots today in this post that explore these amazing birds. 

Glossy Ibis
Our first stop is the popular Scarborough Marsh outside of Portland, Maine. Here, we searched for Glossy Ibis and shorebirds.  It was a gorgeous day out.  I think Kathie and I had a lot of fun on this day observing nesting Least Terns in beautiful weather. 


Scarborough Marsh. Photo by Kathie Brown
During the day, it became quite windy. I really liked the salt marsh habitat the most because we don't have this in Arizona. This is a great spot and I highly recommend it to birders. It covers a great expanse of marshland.  Here you can find Saltmarsh Sparrows, egrets, herons, shorebirds and lots of ocean birds.  This marsh obviously connects to the ocean which is yet another great and separate ebird hotspot.

Great Egret
Yet during another day out, Kathie introduced me to a wonderful man by the name of Jeff Cherry.  I really really liked him.  He was a kind soul and a natural birder. We focused on Nelson's Sparrows around his private property known as Cloudmarch. What an amazing place!  A Brown Creeper on this day was visiting a nest in loose bark on a tree.  

We hike around Jeff's large property discovering nesting and migrating birds
Along the way, we observed the eastern species of Willet better.  It may be split down the road as a separate species so I wanted to study this current subspecies better. 

Eastern Willet
During our treks to these beautiful salt marshes, we'd find clammers at low tide filling buckets with these tasty treats. 

A common sight in Maine
We'd often face drizzly weather during our searches. 

Wet cloudy mornings with coffee
The Swamp Sparrow is a gorgeous bird and one I don't see often in Arizona.  I can say that this summer was great for observing them.  I added lots of data for the atlases in Maine and Wisconsin. 

A Swamp Sparrow
I think it was after our visit to Scarborough Marsh that we stopped at this great seafood place.  I have to watch my weight so I held back on lobster rolls in Maine until we arrived at this popular restaurant on the drive back from Scarborough. I was proud of myself.  Normally I make several stops for these highly delicious caloric treats.  Anyhow, it was a popular place for locals.  And I love to people watch.  And listen to local dialects.  I tried unsuccessfully to speak like a Mainer.  Kathie even told me so:)  I loved listening to their way of speaking.  In many ways Wisconsin and Maine have much in common, especially when it comes to accents. 


Instead of a perch fry like you'd have in Wisconsin, these Mainers were enjoying their lobsters and clams. And any good fish or seafood dish requires delicious coleslaw and rolls.  Amen. 


Nelson's Sparrow
Close to Kathie's home, we stopped at a tidal salt marsh.  I braved the ticks(and there were plenty!) and hiked a bit into the salt marsh.  Here I heard the "coins drop in a metal bucket"sound of a Nelson's. Then I felt another presence in the force as well. I heard the unmistakable call of a Saltmarsh Sparrow.  My heart raced. This would be a lifebird!

Saltmarsh Sparrow
Both Nelson's and Saltmarsh Sparrows look similar. They also hang out in the same habitat BUT behave differently.  A Nelson's Sparrow sits on top of his flat dropping coins.  The Saltmarsh Sparrow dens in ravines along the salt creeks of the marsh. I also had to be absolutely sure I didn't have a hybrid on my hands. Another goal for my summer checklist had been achieved. Some birders love owls.  I love love love my sparrows. I mean look at that orange tinge in their plumage.  

Kathie celebrates 500 lifers!
Kathie picked up Saltmarsh Sparrow for the state.  And during our marsh adventures, she eventually reached 500 after we spotted the Little Egret(a rarity) at low tide at a local Audubon center. 


A Little Egret, photo taken in Wales this year is a rarity to the US.  It looks similar to the Snowy Egret.  However, this bird has two floppy plumes that helps with the ID:)
We still have several more adventures in Maine. Until next time.....

4 comments:

  1. For once there is a bird I can see here - Glossy Ibis - but the others would be a cause for much excitement! The sparrows look great, I'd love to see them.

    Cheers - Stewart M - Melbourne

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gorgeous photos of all those lovely Sparrow species and I have fallen in love with Glossy Ibis - I would so love to see one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a joy for you and Kathy to once again bird together, and in such gorgeous landscapes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Chris, it took me awhile to get to this post, but nicely done! And what fun we had! We will have to do this again sometime at the end of August or in September when shorebirds are migrating and most of the tourists are gone. There are still more birds to find in Maine and much more fun to be had! Great photos. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by!