Tuesday, December 11, 2018

Final Exams and Birds

Lewis's Woodpecker
During my final exam period, I find it hard to go birding with all the grading I have to do.  I force myself to go out and keep up with the challenges even though I've seen most of Arizona's birds many times. I'd rather sleep. I do it because when spring comes, I'm often asked to guide.  And it's good to keep fresh with our key species here like the Rufous-capped Warblers, Black-capped Gnatcatchers, Red-faced and Olive Warblers, etc. 



Arizona has large pecan groves and during the winter, it's always a good idea to check these trees for not only the Lewis's Woodpeckers but other species as well like the Red-breasted Sapsucker. Some of these groves are on private property and others grow in city parks or abandoned lots.  


Savannah Sparrow
It was a good weekend out.  The sparrows are back again and I enjoy sorting through all of them during my counts.  And of course, the month of December always seems to be a banner month for wintering Lawrence's Goldfinches as they feed from the seed heads of a particular grass that grows here. I couldn't believe the numbers at each of the stops we made!

Lawrence's Goldfinches
On Saturday, I went out with Micheal to the town of Patagonia to bird the Patagonia-Sonoita Nature Conservancy and look for the reported Carolina Wren. We didn't see it but I get a sense that it's probably the same bird who showed up early this year at Patagonia Lake State.  We had a nice hike and found lots of great birds, mammals and a male tarantula below. 



We laughed at the antics of the juvenile Coue's Whitetail Deer as they jumped around in the fields chasing one another.  In total, we counted around 36 deer!  Apparently, there are many many more.  I sat at the end of our walk on a bench speaking with the volunteer.  According to Micheal, we spoke for over an hour about birds.  How does that even happen?  I felt bad so I treated him to dinner.  I could have camped there that night.  It was so beautiful.  

Coue's Whitetail Deer
While on the trails there, I heard the distinct electronic sliding "ZEET!" call of the Black-capped Gnatcatchers. So I began taking pics for photo documentation to submit to the report.  When I got home, I discovered a Blue-gray had slipped into the middle of my Black-capped Gnatcatchers just to meddle with my ID abilities.  These can be extremely difficult birds to ID.  Thankfully I had pics of both species.  When documenting this "rare(but growing)" population of Black-capped Gnatcatchers, it's important to ID 4 key items.  The important part is to see the under tail of this species for the white pattern.  A long narrow bill is helpful but not always easy to figure out when the bird is alone.  There is also a brownish tone to the back of these birds in winter. Lastly, their call is distinct.  If you have audio equipment, try to record their call for your ebird report. But if the bird is silent, make sure you ID that under tail. It's always easy when you spot a male in summer with a black cap and an almost all white under tail. 

Blue-gray Gnatcatcher
We finished up our trek to Patagonia successfully.  Then Sunday arrived.  I hung out with my friend Hollie to bird around her area in Green Valley.  We had a blast exploring new areas that are now open for birders to explore. It was a crazy day full of rare birds. To make the day even better, it was cold and foggy!


Daylight forces me to be smart about where I bird.  Sometimes all I can do is bird my local patch. 

drake Canvasback
After work, I rush over to Reid Park to do my weekly bird count.  It rarely disappoints. 

When you're a drake Wood Duck, it's hard not to be conspicuous
As I finish up with grades, I am also planning for 3 upcoming treks over the next several weeks.  Some of these treks are for specific birds.  We'll be road tripping back into California for possibly the last time as we search for the Yellow-billed Magpie and Mountain Quail.  That's all I have left for species on land in Cali. I lived in the Bay area once and I remember observing the Yellow-billed Magpies often, but I glanced at them.  And I wasn't a birder.  So we're going to make it official and fun in the process. 

Neotropic Cormorant

There are other birds that are like that for me in the US.  I call them "clean up" birds because they live in out-of-the-way areas that often require special trips due to their range restrictions. 

The Big Feet of an American Coot
Finally, I'd like to address something that has bothered me over the past several weeks.  The birder's club is just like any kind of human social group. It has good members and a few naughty ones.  Often I love my birder peeps, but there are some that break the rules and ruin it for everyone.  I dropped off the AZ Listserv after I kept getting emails from every Tom, Dick and Henrietta about reporting owls.  It got annoying.  Before that, I was irritated by birders who don't follow land rules and trespass. If you're reading this, I'm preaching to the choir.  Apparently, I'm not the only one.  The Green Valley Water Treatment Plant must have also been annoyed because it took time to create this monstrosity of a sign.  Birding continues to grow and with it, we must all teach the newbies the rules. Or we lose important places to bird, not bird watch:) "Bird Watchers" made me laugh.  We are birders.  When someone says bird watcher, I think of robin strokers which is not birding.  Bird watching is like sitting at your window and not knowing what you're seeing.  You just like the birds. And that's ok. I will even admit that I bird watch from my dining room window. Birding is a whole lot of "work"!




Ok.  I'm off my soap box now.  Final exams are notorious for making teachers grouchy.  Teenagers are sneaky.  Soon, I'll be able to finish up my grades and fully commit to travel again.  Next week we join my one and only CBC for this year up on Mt. Lemmon. I'm hoping we have some cool weather with some cool birds.  Until next time......

6 comments:

  1. I miss many things about teaching - but marking exams is not one of them! Birding is better!

    Cheers - Stewart M - Melbourne

    PS: comments now seem to be working properly - but only from my lap top!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for another visual walk along on your birding outing. Yes, those teens are honing their sneaky skills at every opportunity. I have 5 teen grandkids that even 'work' my husband and me. Hope you can enjoy the upcoming winter holiday.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely set of photos. I have never heard of a Gnatcatcher, but if that is what they do I wish we had them here at times! All the best Diane

    ReplyDelete
  4. More super birding outings and beautiful photos. Hope you are getting near the end of going through exam papers.

    We get birders over here who can misbehave especially when "twitches" occur to see rare birds - as you say it can spoil it for everyone. :(

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello. Wonderful photos. The toes of an American coot looks so amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful pics.. My best wishes for these holidays ..
    Feliz Navidad

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by!