Tuesday, November 20, 2018

The Long Sip


The US holidays have arrived.  All the chaos is human caused. So I recommend that we all take the time to just BE.

A gentle stream flows along a trail in the Santa Rita mountains
Even if for a moment from our often stressful lives. I will never buy into the "we have to do this because it's what we do" mentality.  That's all a bunch of crap.

A Brown Creeper finds a spot full of insects
Last weekend, we spent a moment on the trails watching birds along a lovely stream in the Santa Rita mountains of Southern Arizona.

A Townsend's Warbler is seen in a warbler flock
After the hike, we went to the Santa Rita Lodge and watched their thirsty male Coati get a sip from the hummingbird feeders.



Well.  It was more like a long sip.


After he was finished, he headed off into the forest for a break.

It's often common in winter to find a solitary male Coati roaming trails where there are opportunities for food along riparian corridors
The world is changing.  With our warmer temps, we are seeing more and more Broad-tailed Hummingbirds sticking around for the winter. 

A rare Broad-tailed Hummingbird
It was a beautiful morning out. 

Painted Redstart
It felt more like fall than winter.  The canyon trees are in the middle of their autumn colors.

Mexican Jay
During this time of year, there is a "lull" in bird numbers as many of the northern birds are still migrating south.  However, it's also the time of year when random birds begin to show up.

Hepatic Tanager at a feeder at the Santa Rita Lodge
The bird of the week is this juvenile Yellow-bellied Sapsucker(below) hanging around a Tucson neighborhood.  It's a rarity that shows up during this time of year.  Our most common wintering sapsucker in Tucson is the Red-naped Sapsucker.  The second likely choice for sapsuckers if it's not Red-naped would be Yellow-bellied. And the rarest, but also seen during most winters here, is the Red-breasted Sapsucker.  And in Tucson, it's possible to add Williamson's Sapsuckers to your county list as several hang out on Mt. Lemmon OR in our parks around areas of old growth. Imagine! 4 species of sapsuckers!  If you're lucky:)

Look for holes on trees to find sapsuckers.  A good birder listens for tapping and drill holes on trees to find sapsuckers
Next week we chase a gull outside of Phoenix and play around in the grasslands.  I celebrate a state milestone while planning for another trek to Sonora, Mexico. Until next time....

16 comments:

  1. We have two birders on our Fynbos Rambles. Which helps me to learn a few more of our birds.
    That coati is a strange animal to my eyes, a small bear with a fox's jaw?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Or maybe a Panda! It's one of my favs! Next to our Pronghorn:)

      Delete
  2. Hello, I do not let the holidays stress me out any more. I do enjoy cooking dinner for Thanksgiving but I would spend the day out hiking than shopping on Black Friday. The Coati is a cool critter, I remember seeing a few cross the trail when I was in Costa Rica years ago. You have posted some beautiful birds and photos. Seeing your birds have me wishing to do some birding in your area some day. Happy Thanksgiving to you and your family. Have a great day and week ahead.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YOU ARE ALWAYS WELCOME HERE! You let me know and I'll pick you up and show you around Arizona.

      Delete
  3. Your posts are so informative. Find it amusing the tanger appears to be sitting on a strip of pointy things to keep birds from perching there. Wishing you a Thanksgiving full of rest and lots of live birds.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Janice:)So those pointy things help keep Mr. Coati off the feeders. They are VERY good climbers:) Happy Thanksgiving!

      Delete
  4. Fabulous set of photos and I have never seen or heard of a coati before!! Enjoy the week Diane

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You do the same! This guy is known as the White-tailed Coati. If can recall correctly, I think there are 3 species of coati in the americas.

      Delete
  5. Well yes Chris. I try to avoid the sheeple but it's not east a lot of the time. That Hepatic Tanager is very smart looking. Very subtle indeed. Just my sort of bird.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes. No matter how many times I see that tanager, I have to take pics:)It's one of several fun birds found in that particular area:)

      Delete
  6. The Hepatic stumped me, how exciting! LoL at the Coati on the HB feeder! I loved visiting this area this past Spring, so nice to see those birds again!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Have a Happy Thanksgiving and enjoy your wildlife. A beautiful set of photos of wonderful birds :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hello! What a lovely post and so great photos.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What great photos and such an unusual visitor! How awesome is that!
    I learned a looooong time ago that staying away from stressful people and situation is the best thing to do and haven't regretted a moment of it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hummingbird feeders are certainly a great attraction for other creatures. This year at the feeders in our backyard a male Downy Woodpecker was a regular patron. I think on many days he got more of the syrup than the hummers’.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have yet to see a coati. A little too high in elevation here. But I did put the hummingbird feeder back up once I realized I wasn't going anywhere. Still have a few hanging around.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by!