Monday, August 14, 2017

As The Caspian Tern Flies


As I balanced family outings with birds, I found the Caspian Tern always nearby. 

Purple Coneflower
I tried focusing on the birds, but there were schedules to maintain and lots of fun family outings. If we weren't watching the little ones, we'd find them drinking out of the bird bath!  Baby J was taking birding to a whole new level!


My sister looked into the flames to glance the future.  "The night is dark and full of terrors."


Meanwhile my mother's own dragon, her macaw, sized me up.  "To bite or not to bite?  That was the question."  He let me know that I could rub under the wings but he wouldn't guarantee that he wouldn't bite me.  So.....that was a no go. 

Azul, our Blue-and-gold Macaw
Between the fun, I'd run to the shoreline and watch birds.


Or we'd take the nephews and nieces out to have some fun at several of our amazing nature centers. 
Hopefully, their curiosity grows into something lifelong. 


My nephews were fascinated by the fish. 


I think I spent most of my time outdoors and as much time as I could along the lake.  

Great Blue Heron
On this one perfect day, the wildflowers gave off a scent along the lakefront.  Have you ever had that moment of perfection standing alone in nature?   You know.  The kind that overloads all the senses at once and gives you a natural high?  Picture this. Brightly colored wildflowers swaying against the shore as the waves lap against the rock. The fragrant air gently kissing the skin. And when touch, smell, sight and sound all work together, it makes the body tingle with happiness. 


Family snaps me out of my reverie. And on that same day we replace an old light fixture with a fun one. 


Then it would be back to the lake watching birds again. 

Lesser Yellowlegs
Sometimes we had double trouble:) Both bird and human alike!


And there were yummy dinners.


And then it was back to the lakeshore.  Or river. 

Song Sparrow
After an expired milk mishap, both my younger sister and I cleaned out our parent's fridge. Lots of expired foods had to be thrown out. When carrots start looking like the one below, it tells you something. However, this carrot is still edible. Or rather.....was edible. 


On Game of Thrones night, we had homemade Frey Pie.  Very tasty!


Our lives contain many different chapters.  The birds are timeless fixtures that dot the background of our life story. Whenever I see these birds now, memories surface from the moments I first saw them. And they take me back to that page in time so that I can reread it and savor the moment all over again.    


As the Caspian Tern flies, I stand with Chuck Sontag, my Dad, Gordon, and countless others reliving our first moments together observing these birds.  My very first moment with this bird was with Micheal at the Salton Sea in California. I was just beginning this grand adventure. After years of birding and thousands of miles later, I am at a different place now in my life.  The great seas await me.  Unexplored birding territories in the Spanish speaking world require my eyes. 



As I end my Wisconsin journeys, I reflect on THIS chapter of my life. I am so happy that I could share so many years with my Grandmother as we birded her backyard together.  Just last year, she discovered the Eastern Phoebe. She had seen it for years but never knew the name.  Now whenever I see an American Goldfinch, Baltimore Oriole or Ruby-throated Hummingbird, I will think of her because those were HER favorite birds.  She would tell me to continue my journey and write more chapters! 


In October, we head back to Colorado for some fun. 
And I still have to write 2 more posts from our Costa Rican adventures! I also had some fun with Tucson Audubon as I lead several trips to our grasslands and the infamous Madera Canyon.  I'll also be heading back to Mexico at the end of the month to do my final and last good-bye to a ranch that gave me several important lifers. There will always be good-byes and hellos. And that has taught me to cherish each and every moment. Next week, we'll be heading back to Costa Rica and exploring the beautiful Talamanca Highlands with Serge Arias.  Until next time..... 

5 comments:

  1. Hello Chris, lovely post. You have many happy memories of your grandmother. I enjoyed the post and wonderful post of the birds and your family. Happy Birding, enjoy your day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Chris!:) Lovely post, combining both family pictures, and bird photography. Certain birds evoke memories of people for me too. I'm glad you have so many happy memories, and thank you for sharing them. Take care, and happy birding.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a wonderful trip with your family...despite the mackaw wanting to nibble on you! :-) Loved seeing the kids (yukky birdbath water!!!! :-) )in your family and hear about your sweet memories with your grandmother. The photos are great as well. Loved this post!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's good to see family when you can and get some awesome nature shots at the same time! Love the birds a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Magnifique Sterne Caspienne ;-)
    Céline & Philippe

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by!