Sunday, October 6, 2013

Shore Leave

Praying Mantis in our garden

Along the way, it becomes wearisome.  It doesn't go away.  Sometimes, I wish I could just shut it off, but it holds great power over me like a bad addiction.  I go back to the routines of work and feel the weight of them pressing me down. It also distracts my brain. I research and read and research some more wanting to be out in the field.  I take this shot of a Praying Mantis near a Hummingbird feeder at my home and forgot that these bugs kill hummers! But I left for work only realizing afterwards what was going on AFTER I took the pics! Thankfully, my nesting hummers are fine. That little tidbit I learned at a lecture in Portal, AZ last year. If I could have my way, I'd lock myself into my house at night and read about birds.  And during the day, I would find them.

Hooded Oriole

Now I know it doesn't seem apparent but I have actually taken a break from chasing birds.  I've just planned out my posts until I get back on the road again which will be soon.  The fact of the matter is that I needed to take a break about 4 months ago! I don't know how people with Big Years do it! There will always be rare birds flying in and out of the state.  Sometimes, I just have to sit back and say, "Time out."  And I'm actually okay with it this time.  I like taking a stroll and counting birds without feeling that anxiety of dipping on a bird.

Harris Hawk

Surprisingly enough that is when I found another lifebird.....the MacGillvray's Warbler. I was at a picnic table just sitting and watching several tiny birds flitting around on the ground.  This bird gave for a good show and got me a bit excited:)  It was nice just to see it as I saw it and not follow a report.

MacGillivray's Warbler

There are plenty of distractions like seeing a bat fly around during daylight hours.  It only did so because a Gila Woodpecker was bugging it's sleeping spot.  Sometimes it's about knowing our own birds well.  It's fun to observe wildlife.


So while I am taking a break, I've been putting together several photo essays dealing with black birds, hummingbird migration, warblers, and kingbirds.   There are several more posts from Guatemala, New Mexico, Colorado, Wisconsin and Northern Arizona coming up.  As you can see, a break was needed.


This video was taken in Tucson, Arizona by a resident.  You can see why the hummingbirds are stand offish at the feeders.  At about 2:25, the Mantis captures a bee coming to a feeder.  It's amazing the battles that can happen right outside of our windows.  I love hummingbirds and I love the mantis but I don't like these intelligent insects around my feeders:)  Thankfully they only show up during the monsoon season:) Much more coming up!  Until next time......


15 comments:

  1. i knew that about the praying mantis and i shoo them off my hummer feeders when i see them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're amusing friend Kreesh! I think you're not only a birder now, but a fanatic, hahaha! Isn't your descriptions what people in the US call OC? But at least you still was able to see the praying mantis to attract your camera. And thanks for letting us know they eat bees too, i thought they only eat my enemies!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your pictures are so beautiful .. I like the green man (insect) = 0) .. You are a fantastic place .. it's wonderful that you share your experience and photos with us (bloggers)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Espectacular la Mantis.. Un saludillo..

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think I agree with Andrea above, you are becoming fanatic about birding. I do not see praying mantis often and I glad I read your post. Poor Hummingbirds. Love the warbler, Chris!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great video Chris - not having hummingbirds over here you forget how tiny they are. Poor bee but glad hummingbirds weren't caught!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I had heard that about Mantis eating hummers. Seems hard to believe. Like a hummer could just flick that stick bug right off the feeder.

    When no looking for it, something appears.

    ReplyDelete
  8. HI Chris Loved the video. We don't have Hummingbirds so always nice to see them.

    ReplyDelete
  9. If you feel that you need to take a break in deep obserwcji birds, then do it. When passion becomes a duty, it is no longer interesting, Lovely is the video. I feel sorry for the hummingbird, because so much was flying, and did not benefit from a tray of food. Yours.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Just the thought that the Mantis could eat the Hummer made me watch the vídeo through my fingers.Great captures again,.. especially the bat!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I didn't know that praying mantis killed hummers. I have one hanging out by my little rose bushes that are getting gobbled up by bugs.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Never knew that a Mantis could take a Hummer!! I know that these are (mainly) exremely small birds, and that's a relatively big insect, but I find it amazing. That video is a real eye-opener.

    .... and a Bat in the daytime too!!!

    A great post for getting the brain cells working! Thank you Chris.

    ReplyDelete
  13. A birding break is good for the body and soul and soon you will be refreshed and in the mood again!

    ReplyDelete
  14. The photos are beautiful!
    Greetings, RW & SK

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by!