Monday, January 14, 2013

Bosque Del Apache

Going to a new place to bird beyond your own borders can be extremely exciting. I researched and researched all the possible birds I could see to maximize viewing.  We even planned our stay at the Dancing Cranes Bed and Breakfast.  Fantastic location with fantastic hosts.  I'll have their info below. On this trip, I was hoping to add 30 new species! But I've been known to be a dreamer:)
But being that time was tight, I only found seven.  Bald Eagle, American Crow, Pine Siskins, Bushtits, Northern Loggerhead, Snow Geese and Ross' Geese. The problems with birding on a tight schedule are plenty.  I had the evening to survey the area and the morning to work on my photography.  That's it.  So I didn't have enough time to do both!  Some shots turned out wonderfully while my Bald Eagle shots are poor....and yet we saw them.
Bosque is a large area to cover and I think a person needs at least 3 days minimum to do a somewhat complete count around the grounds.  Being that it was a tight schedule, we headed towards the Northern Ponds which allowed for us to observe the Snow Geese and Sandhill Cranes....our target birds. The Southern Pond was quiet but had many worthwhile birds in hiding.
And it was sure Birds of Prey heavy!  Raptorville everywhere you looked!  Ravens, Crows, Harriers, Hawks, Eagles and Falcons!
No matter how many times I see them, American Coots make me laugh.  They are so lazy when it comes to flight.  In the pic below, they try running on ice. Not such a great idea.
I love how they huddle all together and it made for great picture taking.
One thing I was able to do better was observe Dark Eyed Juncos.  They were everywhere in New Mexico and Colorado.  I now have their calls down.  So if you're driving through New Mexico and wondering what's worthwhile to see, think about putting Bosque Del Apache on your list of "must sees!"
Of course, winter is cold in New Mexico.  So bring layers to keep yourself warm in the morning and shed a couple by afternoon.
During the time of this shoot, it was freezing cold.  You can see the ice on the waterways in the above pics.  I sometimes forget that most places outside of Tucson are cold.  Glad I remembered my pants:)
And if you're looking for a great place to stay, give Jim and Jana a try!  Their yard is full of bird feeders and lots of cool birds.  The White Winged Dove, Sandhill Cranes, Dark Eyed Juncos, White Crowned Sparrows, a Belted Kingfisher, and Great Egret were all just some highlights!
For more information, visit this post as it's a place off the grid and there really isn't any official website for the Bed and Breakfast. It's legit folks and the hosts love what they do so if you are a wildlife aficionado or just a lover of the great outdoors, they'd like to meet you. And you'll love to meet them. You'll be glad you did.  The adventure continues next week......

30 comments:

  1. Great series!! Boom & Gary of the Vermilon River, Canada.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Twoja praca przy szukaniu ptaków i fotografowaniu ich jest bardzo ciekawa i daje Ci chyba satysfakcję i radość. Pozdrawiam serdecznie
    Your job in finding and photographing the birds is very interesting and gives you the satisfaction and joy I think. Yours sincerely

    ReplyDelete
  3. A mouth-watering aray of birds here, Chris. I know your target was thirty new species, but nine takes some beating for a quick visit!

    Your photos are starting to tempt me towards another visit to the USA - the problem is that my wife wasn't keen on it when we went to Colorado.

    ReplyDelete
  4. the great egret shot looks like a great photo card - quite audubon-ish. :) i like their crane statue, too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice shots Chris.....good work again.

    Greetings, Joop

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wonderful collection of shots. Fantastic variety of birdlife.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your New Mexico trip looked awesome.. That B&B must be wonderful --especially for birders. You captured so many great birds.. Even if you didn't make your goal, you did see several new ones --and lots of others... SO NEAT!!!!! Congrats.
    Hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hard for me to imagine ice in New Mexico, I might have to refresh my geography knowledge of the area :) Glad you're making headway on your list of lifers and I really like your shot of the birds keeping warm/sleeping on the ice.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Superb series of images! Love the snow geese in flight.
    Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very nice! I hope to get out there next year, and to the Sandia Crest too for Pine Grosbeaks and Rosy Finches...oh yes...

    ReplyDelete
  11. I so agree about the coots. I like to see them all together almost lazily paddling along.
    I haven't been to Bosque Del Apache yet it's on my list as I've heard all good about it.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Chris, this sounds like a wonderful place to stay and to see the birds. Love the crane shot and the snow geese in flight. Beautiful birds and photos. Thanks for sharing your trip! Have a great week and happy birding.

    ReplyDelete
  13. B&B's are always much nicer than hotel/motel visits.
    I love the little Junko's walking to wherever it is they are walking to.

    ReplyDelete
  14. One more beautiful series@ I have never heard about this place but wrote the name down... who knows?
    And please stay a dreamer. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Nice series of birds, love the egret!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hello Kreesh, i miss your visits. You are certainly taking a great time with birding ha! I love most in your photos those black big birds standing tall despite the cold, but their head are inside their wings, what a lovely sight!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Andrea, I miss you as well:) I'm still around:)

      Delete
  17. Sounds and looks like you had a wonderful time Chris! Lots of lovely photos too, difficult to pick a favourite but possibly the Great Egret :-)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh my...what treasures you found in this new place! These birds are lovely and in such a beautiful place.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Chris, I loved seeing your images of Bosque!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Interesante entrada, hermosa fauna!!Muy buenas capturas de las aves.Un abrazo grande.

    ReplyDelete
  21. All of them are absolutely brilliant, wow.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Love the name of the B and B. Sounds like a great birding getaway!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Great photos, Chris! The running Coots always crack me up! Congrats on the 7 lifers! Birding while short on time seems to be a regular thing for me, so I know how frustrating that can be! Thanks for the tips on visiting Bosque, which I really hope to do!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Gosh you've been having a wonderful time Chris and so very productive..what a brilliant collection of shots you must be so happy with them.

    ReplyDelete
  25. That is a large collection of birds to see in one trip, you have done very well.

    Jen

    ReplyDelete
  26. Great series of the bird.
    Wish you a nice week.
    From Hilda

    ReplyDelete
  27. ravens, crows and hawks, OH MY!!
    and eagles, falcons & harriers...ANOTHER OH MY!! =)

    what a lot of GREAT photos you took chris!! and the ones you couldn't get good shots of...will be forever in your memory!!

    ReplyDelete
  28. I wondered what had happened to you! You've been on a great vacation! Loved these bird sightings near where you stayed in New Mexico!

    By the way, you are right about the roses--mine don't look like the ones in Reid Park either! :-)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by!