Tuesday, May 21, 2019

To Ms. Bonnie



This week marks the end of our adventure in Wales. Lately, Facebook seems to be getting a lot of negative press, but without FB, I would have never met Bonnie. And then Steve.


Common redshank
Facebook is a social network and that's exactly how I use it.  It has been a wonderful tool to connect with people all over the world. Ms. Bonnie found me on Facebook years ago during an AZ trip to visit her sister. She contacted me and the rest was history. 

Bonnie and Micheal close their eyes!
While there, we had fun visiting historic sites that were absolutely incredible.  The pic above is a Dr. Who reference.  Never close your eyes when an angel is near!  Never.


Along the way, we saw birders all bundled up searching for something good. 


Steve showed me lots of cool critters besides the birds.


I discovered that the goats I saw in the "Sound of Music" with Julie Andrews do exist.  Apparently, these feral goats were brought to Britain by the Romans. 


Bonnie took us to a beautiful place known as Snowdonia.  It was so so picturesque!



In some of the reserves, we had a good chance for spotting the 3 woodpecker species of Wales.  We only saw 2, but I'm not complaining.  That was absolutely fun!


Steve took me out for some classic ice cream which was delicious. 


He also had a knack for finding dead things like the Dunnock above and the Blackbird below. Now the Blackbird was dead but I'm not sure the Dunnock was in the same state.  We placed the Dunnock in Bonnie's pretty potted plant.  When we returned home, the bird was gone! Steve thinks the Jackdaws had dinner.  I think the bird came back alive and flew away:) Most likely explanation for the missing Dunnock?  Bonnie's neighbor, who looks out for her, saw the bird and took it from her potted plant. That's how wonderful her neighborhood was.


Across Wales, I saw beautiful art mixed into the incredible landscapes.




People in the States always talk about how bad British food can be.  I experienced NONE of that there, except maybe the Black Blood Pudding.


Because we were along the ocean, we explored the beach front for all sorts of crabs and marine life.


Bonnie took us to picturesque pubs.


The pubs were really something special.


We stood under a tree that was thousands of years old.


Although it seems like yesterday, this all happened in March.  British birding has wet my appetite for more.  As for the passport mishap.  That was a completely terrible incident.  NEVER in my life has that ever happened.  Let me set up the scenario.  Steve arrives over to Bonnie's place because he's taking us to the airport.  He realizes he has his wife's keys and she needs to get to work.  Oh oh!  We turn back to give Bonnie the keys to bring back to his wife so she can get to work.  I laugh until Steve asks us if we have our passports.  I look back at Micheal who was in charge of them and I see panic in his eyes.  Side note: I LOVED not having to be responsible for the passports until we didn't have them.  Panic panic panic!  I try to keep my cool and tell Steve, "This isn't me." But it is now. We had to make a decision and it was to get to the airport.  That was the longest ride I have ever experienced. Poor Bonnie!  Once she got back from the key mishap, she ran to check our room to see if the passports had slipped behind the desk or bed. They weren't there. And they weren't in our suitcases or carry-ons. How did we lose them?  Every scenario passes through my head. As we get to the airport, Steve stops the car and suggests we check the floor.  Apparently, we did not have our passports for an ENTIRE week because they were under the seat of his car. When we first arrived, Micheal crashed from the jetlag and took the passports off around his neck in the car.  There was a huge sigh of relief, but Steve witnessed on that day that I'm now in charge of the passports again.  Booo!  I think Micheal planned this on purpose:)

European green woodpecker, photo taken by Dr. Steve
Overall, beyond the passport incident, Wales was incredible. What an amazing trek that was!  I miss Bonnie and am so grateful to her for introducing us to her world. And we got to make a new friend! Thank you thank you thank you!

 This completes the Welsh birding experience, for now. We'll touch base in Arizona next week. Then it's off to Texas, New Mexico, Maine and Wisconsin.  Until next time!  

8 comments:

  1. Very interesting report about your Welsh holidays! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you enjoyed Wales. Now you will have to try Ireland next!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful trip recap! I know you about fainted at the thought of arriving at the Airport with no passport, what a nightmare that would be. I think I would enjoy a visit to Wales!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was scary. Wales is super friendly for a first time visit to the big island:)

      Delete
  4. Wonderful photos and you packed so much into that Welsh holiday. I don't like black pudding either! I love the Doctor Who reference - I always give angels a wide berth when I am in churchyards :) So glad you eventually found the passports :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We did do a lot. But I gotta say that wasn't how I imagined our trek back to the airport. It all worked out in the end, but I had this image that we'd be stuck in England piled under paperwork getting charged pounds and pounds for a stupid mistake.

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by!