Monday, February 13, 2017

The Tasty Pinecone

 

"YOU SHALL NOT PASS!", shouted the Cliff Chipmunk as he slammed his staff down onto the rock. 



So I parked my car and walked around him:)  But he was right.  The road behind him was not passable at all. Too much ice!  So I went on foot into the quiet forest of snow and pinecone. 



Another voice called out from the Ponderosa Pines.  It was the Olive Warbler!


There she hopped around screaming her scratchy, "Teacher teacher teacher!" call.  Yes, I know! I'm a teacher!


After she left, the woods went silent again.  



Until I heard a pine cone drop.  



One of the Abert's Squirrels said aloud, "It's not me!"


The Cliff Chipmunk just told me to keep moving along. 


In the sunlight, the snow turned to water and filled the creeks.  But in the shadows of the mountain, the snow remained. 


More silence until another pinecone fell. I looked up and saw Mr. Abert's having lunch. 


Then.  Breaking the silence, a high pitched "zzzt" sliced through the cold air.  Recognizing the call, my eyes scanned the lichen covered bark until I spied the movement of a camouflaged back. It was that of the Brown Creeper.


A Pine Siskin called out for me and said "hi". 


As I left the snowy trail, I found snow people enjoying the nearby ski lift. 


What a perfect day to go birding up on Mt. Lemmon!



There is still snow up on the mountain and plenty of pinecones for the critters to munch on. Until next time.........

22 comments:

  1. The Chipmunk looks a lot the the Palm Squirrels I am seeing in India - keep an eye open for a post!

    Cheers - Stewart M - New Delhi, India (!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your Mt. Lemmon shots! Gorgeous birds and squirrels (and such a cute beginning with the Thou Shall Not Pass!) I have been having a lot of trouble with my blog, and haven't been able to comment on a lot of people's blogs, or have them comment on mine. I haven't forgotten you! Hope you have a great week. Check out my mountain photos post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi there!!! I cannot wait to see what you've seen since you've moved. It looks so beautiful over there. Lots of wonderful(or nasty-when you have to shovel it day after day) snow:) I'll be visiting you this week and checking up on you:)

      Delete
  3. Happy Valentine's Day to you and your loved ones. We are enjoying this special day in Arkansas at our special little cabin on the mountain!

    Looks like a gorgeous walk in the snow/ice.. We have had almost NO winter at home this year....
    Hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's so bizarre. Happy Valentine's Day to you both!!! I'll be visiting your blog soon. Hope you are enjoying the fresh air, but I know you guys always do:)

      Delete
  4. I feel like I was there after reading you words and seeing the pictures. Thank you so much for sharing this post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello!!! Just met up with some birders from your part of the world last night. We had a great time birding. If you ever visit, let me know!

      Delete
  5. Les écureuils son très beaux ;-)
    Céline & Philippe

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello Chris, looks like an awesome day. Except for the snow. I love the birds and the cute chipper. Have a happy day and week ahead!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's not often I get to play in the snow so I love it but I get it. I had a little too much of it in Wisconsin. The overcast skies are always yucky.

      Delete
  7. Replies
    1. I love snow. It's the best time to visit AZ. If you ever come down to visit, I'll show you some of these places. So many amazing things to see here in this state.

      Delete
  8. What a great series of photos! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a great post and superb photos :) The squirrel is just SO cute! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. lovely critters and birds. Nice shots and even a bit of artwork.
    Your brown creeper is hardly visible :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Super post- I am a huge fan of JRR Tolkien and the Lord of the Rings series. Super shots of the birds and what a fun outing. Have a nice Sunday.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Obey the chipmunk! What a fun day with wonderful birds and critters who not only showed themselves but also talked to you! Mt Lemmon is an awesome place. Your art worked photos are lovely.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by!