Wednesday, August 16, 2017

The Grassland Road



Several months ago I began working with Luke Safford to guide a trip with Tucson Audubon and their wonderful Southeast Birding Festival. I got to pick the place and how we birded.  So I had to choose.  My favorite places to bird in August are the grasslands, Mt. Lemmon and Willcox Lake. So I chose my absolute favorite, Las Cienagas Grasslands. 

Botteri's Sparrow
 It was a bit scary but Luke was very helpful and gave me all the tools I needed to tailor this trek for our guests.  I needed a driver.  Done.  I wanted another guide with me.  Done.  Before I knew it, our trip to the grasslands was booked!  Twenty hopeful birders got into our two vans and placed their life lists in our hands!  The thing about the grasslands is that I feel very connected to the birds here. I knew our guests would fall in love with the landscape.  And they'd soon fall in love with our sparrows.......even if they didn't think they would:) 



In fact, as an educator, I feel it important to bird areas that have the most activity.  During this time of year, the grassland birds are extremely vocal and easily seen.  Our friends had no problem spotting birds.  But my goal?  Teaching them the calls and sounds of our grassland birds.  And by the bird gods did they learn them!  I had goosebumps listening to the birders pick out the sounds while ID'ing the birds on their own.  



To make things even better?  First class personality and professional bird guide, Chris Benesh joined the party. He is a relaxed and funny guy who helped take the stress out of this trip with our 20 guests. I'm not used to leading a group with so many people!



The weekend before the festival, I went with Magill Weber and we birded the area for my target birds that I wanted to present to the group.  On our list, I had put down birds like the Thick-billed Kingbird, Cassin's, Grasshopper and Botteri's Sparrows, Eastern Meadowlarks and the Cassin's and Western Kingbirds.  BUT.....to make something truly special....I mean.....really really special.....I feel that there needs to be more than just birds.  



And the Cienagas Grasslands have it all.  There is history.  There are birds.  There is epic landscape dotted with colorful wildflowers.  And there are Pronghorn. I feel at peace here. 



I think this trip was one of the cheapest of the tours.  And it was the one that made a lasting impression on everyone.  We saw coyotes, pronghorn and prairie dogs.  Speaking of Prairie Dogs....

Mojave Rattlesnake during our scouting mission
 We were running behind schedule and I was worried we wouldn't make all of our stops because we were enjoying the morning.  So I had scheduled a stop at the Prairie Dog settlement on the tour.  I wasn't sure if the group wanted to go and see more mammals but thankfully several participants spoke up and said that they wanted to see the furry little critters.  So we went.....

Cassin's Sparrow
 Cassin's Sparrows were EVERYWHERE!  This is a specialty bird here in Southern Arizona during our monsoon season.  They are very vocal and the last of the sparrows to breed for the summer.  And they can breed many times during a nice wet monsoon season.  This year has been another exceptional year for this grassland species. 


We arrived at the Prairie Dog settlement. I was looking for Burrowing Owls.  They were looking at the dogs.  


Juveniles played.  Adults fed.  And an Australian couple was more interested in a strange bird out in the field. Chris was helping other birders ID certain critters. I was helping a birder ID a Western Kingbird in flight when Willy and Jess asked me about the weird looking bird.  Thinking regular resident birds, I asked them if it was a Killdeer.  They told me "no".  It was too big.  Ok.  How about a Long-billed Curlew?  Hesitation.  Then Willy said he was pretty sure it wasn't a curlew. That got my attention. 

Black-tailed Prairie Dog
 I left the lady after she had ID'd her Western Kingbird. I joined the group who were all now looking at this strange bird.  What happened afterwards was funny and awesome at the same time.  Both Chris and myself put our binos up on the bird and excitedly told the group that we had a mega rare bird!  The Upland Sandpiper!


Everyone became serious.  Photographers grabbed their cameras.  Never in my life had I expected to see an Upland Sandpiper in Arizona!  The birders got excited and their cameras began snapping off shots left and right.  


I think I almost wet my pants.  It wasn't a lifer for me but it was an excellent state bird! No scope was needed and everyone got to see the bird well.  It doesn't get better than this in the epic world of birding. 


Upland Sandpiper
Chris immediately called the Andrew Core hotline(the AZ rare bird alert contact) and I went to the Arizona Rare Bird page on Facebook to post our findings. During that morning, other birders would visit our very special find and be able to count it on their lists.  That night a huge storm blew into the area and the Upland Sandpiper disappeared.  



 What a very special weekend we all had!  One of the participants said that when we got quiet during our initial ID, they knew we had a special bird.  They were excited for us as well!  There's nothing quite like the adrenaline rush of finding something new.  



 I lead a tour the next day to Madera Canyon.  We found some excellent birds and it was fun watching people get excited about adding lifers to their lists.  And it was fun leading them.  Even better?  Raising money for a good cause!  I will continue to help support Tucson Audubon for as long as I can.  They do a great job protecting our areas around the state.  It gives me great pride to hear people say the words, "Wow! This is so beautiful!"  A lot of the money raised helps protect these amazing wildlife sanctuaries of our state. 



My life is different now.  My birding style has changed.  I feel absolute joy watching others discovering our birds for the first time. Just look at the intensity above as they discover their first Painted Redstart.  I want to send a shout out to Luke Safford for helping me put this trek together and to Hollie Faulkner Mansfield for her amazing driving skills.  She seriously has a talent for taking the roads slow so that I could listen for birds.  And also to Chris Benesh for joining the trek. What an honor! I don't know how you do it as a full time job but I do know why you do it.  I was exhausted after a busy weekend out.  Eventually I'll get to the Costa Rican posts, but I am off this weekend to help out with the Jaguar cams and bird surveys down in Mexico.  It will be my final trek down to this particular site so I am a little sad about it all.  I'll have that report next week.  Here are the ebird reports from our trek out to the Cienagas Grasslands. 
For the Cienagas Grasslands, click here
For the Prairie Dog Colony, click here

Until next time.....





5 comments:

  1. Wonderful post and photos. I would imagine you would make an excellent tour leader - so much wildlife seen by the group and great news about the Upland Sandpiper. The tour members must have taken away so many happy memories :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello there! I have been terrible for not getting back to you. It is one whirlwind of something flowing into another here. The tour stuff is just one of the things that I've been doing. This weekend we're checking for Jaguar cams.....in fact, I should be packing but I just wanted to let you know that I appreciate your comments. Have a great weekend and be stopping by soon! Chris

      Delete
  2. The sandpiper was the highlight of the day I presume... Nice. You are becoming more and more involved in the birding I can tell.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was!!! Before I could separate it all. Now it has become fused into my life in anything I do. August and September are the craziest months here with migration. Just no time to do it all! Sometimes I have to pick and choose my challenges. Hope all is well! Be glad you don't live in the ridiculous politics right now. There are mornings I want to wake up and scream!!! Please can Macron come over and lead us!

      Delete
  3. What another fabulous trip but for me 20 people is too many in a group. it is as well another guide turned up. Have a good week ahead.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by!