Saturday, February 18, 2012

The Watcher

Gambel's Quail
 How do you know if you've passed the test for a successful bird sanctuary in your garden for Tucson?  It's not a permit by the city or by the environmental people.  The true answer lies here with the Gambel's Quail.  On my nightly walks into the Encanto neighborhoods, I heard the unmistakeable cry  from the watcher.
 He glimpsed me passing into his territory where he kept an eye out for his family below.  Here, the watcher peers over the mesquite tree.
 On the fence, his back is turned to me, but that quickly changes to a more defensive stance in the pic below.
This is one of my favorite desert birds here in Tucson.  You'll find these birds on the outskirts of town and anywhere that is a desert sanctuary in town like the Encanto neighborhood in midtown.  If you wonder whether or not you have a real wildlife sanctuary in Tucson, the true answer lies with this bird.  It is finicky about certain places and if you have them in your garden, give yourself a pat on the back.  You've just won Mother Nature's approval.
Keep your eyes open this spring for the chicks.  I know a lot about these birds because a family, one year, decided to join my rainforest collection.  If you remember my post from a long time ago on Small Patio Spaces, you'll remember that I had been renting an apartment up in the Foothills without an outdoor space.  So I created this protective area and the Quail found a way inside where they laid eggs and sat on them for a quite some time.  I had been worried that the chicks would fall to their death after they hatched so I moved my patio table and created a chute for them to scoot down.  And they did.  And they lived for several days on my small patio where I fed them chicken feed.  But one day, Father Watcher cried one last time for the birds to leave the area.  Momma took them out....all 13 of them! and left my patio for good.  It was a really sad moment for me but I actually felt good about helping this Quail family out.  Will the El Presidio gardens pass the test? Only time will tell:)

24 comments:

  1. What a smart looking bird to have around, great photos. Love the idea of a shoot for the chicks, even better that it worked :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ten ptak jest śliczny. Twoja troska o jaja ptaka była cudowna i podziwiam Cię. Ptaki odleciały, ale dzięki Tobie żyły. Pozdrawiam.*** This bird is beautiful. Your concern for bird eggs was wonderful and I admire you. The birds flew away, but thanks to you live. Yours.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, fantastic series and photos. The Quail is a beautiful bird. Thanks for sharing. Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fantastic pictures!
    Very interesting! I havent seen that bird before!
    Many greetings and have a nice weekend!
    Yvonne & Raphael

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, what a beautiful bird!
    Have a great weekend.
    Greetings, Mette

    ReplyDelete
  6. They are a beautiful, regal looking bird. How wonderful that you helped a family of them!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fascinating and beautiful bird! Nice story that you helped them too. They should find you again.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you for posting such beautiful pictures of this bird. I've never seen a Gambel's Quail before.

    ReplyDelete
  9. wow, they are gorgeous! how thrilling to see all those chicks in your little space!!! i love the california quail, too. don't get to see quail here - at least i haven't...

    ReplyDelete
  10. A beautiful quail indded, and congrats for geting them in your living space.

    ReplyDelete
  11. OH what a CUTE quail & beautiful pictures!! LOVE that little head-tuft!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a lovely post and story - and with great photos too!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I like watching the quail coveys outside here...they are still hunkered down, for the most part, but soon, the calls of scaled and gambel's quail will be in the air!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Well done Rohrerbot for helping out!

    The test here is if you can get Bullfinch's in the garden!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Lovely photos and I really enjoyed the story. I followed the link and read the whole post and thought it was lovely that you created the chute to help them. You also made your patio look lovely, you must have been sad to leave it.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great photos of this perky little guy!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I guess that mean we pass the bird habitat test because we have a nest every year in our front yard under a cactus. Makes me so happy! :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Yeah!!!! You are alive!! You just made my night. You have passed Mother Natures test:) All my best!

    ReplyDelete
  19. That must have been fun (and nerve wracking) to have that family move in. It's a beautiful bird, but honestly, if I had that thing on my head all the time I'd be so pissed off...

    ReplyDelete
  20. Really nice bird, good for you, with the best camera.

    ReplyDelete
  21. What a beautiful bird and I love the story at the end about the nest and how you helped the chicks leave safely with a chute. Wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I've never seen a live quail. They are really beautiful. I agree that having wildlife move in is the best sign that whatever you're doing, you're doing it right!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Embarrassingly, when I saw this bird, I could not think of it's name. We do not see them here, and even though I am familiar with them through books, TV, etc....it did not come to mind what it was...and these birds are just amazingly special. WOW!!! Great photos!!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by!